Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a desire to try some #8.5 shot for 16 yard trap shooting. Anyone shoot that size?I would load 1 oz. @ approx. 1150. f.p.s. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
One ounce of #8 works good. What do you hope to improve by going to 8.5? You shooting an IC choke or something? I load 8.5 in 7/8 and 3/4 ounce loads and know it will break targets but I do not use those loads for trap so I cannot answer your question from experience. Also I shoot a little slow and the targets are out there a ways when I connect with them. I still prefer 7.5 for trap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have a desire to try some #8.5 shot for 16 yard trap shooting. Anyone shoot that size?I would load 1 oz. @ approx. 1150. f.p.s. Thanks.
One oz. 8 1/2. You have more shot then 1 1/8. IM or M @ 16 yards go load it. You really don't need 1200 FPS either. Been using it for years, really can't see any difference then #8shot. Good back to 23 yards. Then for me its a head game. Need bigger shot!

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I still like the 1 1\8. 7 1/2
Is the idea of 1 ounce loads to save on shot? I am not trying to start anything.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
If you have them, load them, they work great. If you do not have any I do not see the need to run out and buy some - this is if you have 8 or 71/2 on hand. If you are about to buy shot, get some - they work fine.
Better than 8?????????????? No, IMO.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I wouldn't buy a bag of 8.5 shot for 16 yard trap just to try it....when size 8 shot is so prevalent. I have shot 8.5 shot for 16 yard trap ( 1 0z loads) reloaded from a bag that was given me....the smaller shot broke targets fine. I doubt you could set up a realistic "Test" to determine one shot size is better than the other at 16 yards.

·
Registered
187 Posts
At the present time, I’m using 8.5 size shot in a 3/4 oz. load in a 20 gauge for Five Stand. The chokes used in my O/U are an IC and M.

I found that if I do my job, this load will certainly break targets. When this COVID-19 virus is done, I’m planning on using 8.5’s in a 12 gauge 1 oz. load.

Stay Healthy!

Dave

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
My favorite summer 16 yard load is 1oz 8.5 at 1200 fps. Smashes targets.
Just curious what is your winter time load?How far north are you? Can get pretty cold here in PA. Not trying to be funny or anything, just curious. The winter vs. summer time reloads comes up every one and awhile. I remember years ago the old timers use to preach this to me when I first started reloading. But for 16 yd. targets I use only one load w/ 7 1/2 shot all year. HCP 7 1/2 shot @ 1250fps.

I’m sure the old timers were right. They were onto something. But I relate trap to 7 1/2 shot. Just find it easier with better results.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
...an excellent choice for 16 yd targets.
I believe that the choice for 16 yd. target is sufficient. Might not put it in an excellent category. Shooters can make that work. Surly some that is all they shoot. But the trap game is a target that from the second you call “pull” is going away from you and never get closer to you at any of the five stations. Unlike skeet. 7 1/2 shot has more inertia to it to carry out further. I believe 7 1/2 (or 8) will possess more energy. Granted only a few shot pellets hits will break a target. It will work but I don’t see how it would ever be a better choice other than if one thinks because the number of shot pieces in the shell being greater. They will shoot better. More bb’s better the chance of breaking. Maybe if you shoot quicker, if one rides targets with 8 1/2 I think it will hurt you.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
But I would never discourage anyone from using it. I think more on the line of energy at a target moving away from your post. Vs. maybe trying to make a dense pattern for a midi type target or quick sideways or incoming target. But I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts