Votes: 29 58.0%
  • 7 1/2

Votes: 19 38.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry folks, I'm sure this topic has been covered to death, but I couldn't find a definitive answer with the search feature, or through Google.

I'm a new shooter. I started shooting in March. The club I started shooting at was selling Winchester Super Target 1 1/8 oz #9 shot pretty cheap, so that's what I started with. When I started reloading, I bought #9 shot because that's what I was using for both trap and skeet.

This summer, I got a deal on 9 bags of #8 shot, so I switched to that for my reloads, and I didn't really notice a big difference in my scores, or in the way the targets broke. If I hit the target dead on it shatters, if I'm close it breaks, and if I miss, the target doesn't break. It's the same with 8's or 9's.

Recently, I was shooting with a co-worker, and I was told, "it's common knowledge that you can't break a trap target with #9 shot." I loaded up a flat of 3/4 oz #9 with 15 Gr of Extra Lite. It was a bit faster than the 1 oz loads I usually use, but I still got 23's and 24's, and so did a few of the guys I usually shoot with.

So what's the deal? I've tried 7 1/2 Remington Sport loads, but I really haven't seen a huge difference. Is there a general rule of thumb for when to use different sized shot? (I've heard that you have to use 7 1/2 in the winter, but no reason why)

I'm hoping to find some basic rule of thumb like:
Use #9 when shooting singles, because there's a higher density of pellets at close range.
Use #8 in the wind, because they resist drift...
Use #7 1/2 to break more targets... As foretold in the prophecy !

What do you use, and why?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If you're shooting skeet and 16 yard trap just shoot 8's. If you were shooting the 410 in competition or 27 yard handicap in winter you should probably tailor your loads but for a casual shooter KISS principle applies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Some years ago I was at a Sporting Clays event. I was setting under a tree and overheard a conversation between two rather experienced shooters. The conclusion I gathered from listening to them was "one 7 1/2 pellet will break a clay bird" I switched to 7 1/2 for everything and never looked back.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
7.5's unless you can't get them, then 8's unless you can't get them, then what ever you can get......rock, salt, peas?

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Until I see some real data from actual testing I have to believe its all conjecture (opinion).
Shoot what you're confident with.

Bill

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
If you are shooting at clubs who don't maintain their traps-shoot 71/2- the machine has to impart spin on the target, without the spin the targets are harder to break. Any doubt use 71/2

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
647 Posts
I noticed you reloaded some 3/4 oz. loads. With those you should stick to small shot like #9 or a bit better #8.5. Moving up to 7/8 oz go with #8. If you use 1 ounce or more just stick with #7.5 and keep it simple. Of course #8's work just fine until the yardage gets long and its cold.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: 1/20z loads #9, 5/8oz loads #8 1/2, 3/4oz loads #8 1/2, 7/8oz loads #7 1/2, 1oz #7 1/2 and 1 1/8oz #7 1/2. Seems to work well for all gauges and all games. Thanks, Eric

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Since most of the clubs that I shoot at are throwing BIO's. They seem to have to be hit harder to break so I have switched to mostly 7 1/2's. Bill

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: From what I have seen reclaim works ok for skeet but not too good for shots over 30 yards. I would rather just buy new shot than reclaim since you will find some steel, dirt etc. in some reclaim I have seen. Yes Bio targets take a little extra to break and it gets worse in the winter or where it is very dry. Thanks, Eric

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
To break a target with one pellet it depends on where on the target the pellet hits not what size the pellet is. If you think the energy difference between a 7.5 and an 8.0 is going to make the difference, you are just kidding yourself. Which, of course, is ok because it is confidence that breaks most targets.

·
Registered
785 Posts
After I "dusted" a few targets with #9 I walked around at the public range and picked up over 3 boxes of unbroken targets I was surprised how many had one or two pellet holes but were unbroken.

I think it's the number of pellets not necessarily the size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts