Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to start reloading 28 GA for skeet. What do most people use as far as shot size? I'm thinking 9's which would equate to more shot per shell. Just FYI, 3/4 oz, 2 3/4 shells.
Thanks
Jamie

·
Registered
253 Posts
9's work good for skeet.
Buy hard (magnum) shot for the small gauges. The patterns are better.
You'll be pleased how the 28 hits like a 12 and recoils like a 410.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I’m with Shotgunner 50, 8.5 for skeet. JMO, I tried #9 shot but found it would bridge in the tube on occasion, using a Mec 8567 grabber.

·
Registered
551 Posts
9's at 1200 fps for skeet and mostly 81/2 @ 1275 fps (with occasional 8s and 71/2 for longer targets) for sporting clays....great fun!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Thanks for the Laugh :anim_rofl2:...
If you think the difference between #8.5 and #9 makes a difference . Unless you are the top of the AA shooter list and don't have any other care in the world.

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
If your having bridging problems on your shot drops? Try running a bunch of pipe cleaners down the drop tube. You'll need more for the 28 ga. than for the 410 bore of course. Just use, as many as you get down the tube at one time. This will fix your bridging problems PDQ.

As far as shot goes. I prefer to use #8 1/2 shot. Shooting the little gun at night under the lights. The handful of us, who shot the baby bore saw dust on targets very clearly. We came to realize we were hitting the target with one piece of shot. We were all using Law. Brand Mag shot as well. We all switched to 8 1/2 Law. Mag shot and most of the dusting stopped real quick. We all have been using 8 1/2 shot since that time. I also love using 8 1/2's for all my 16 yard single shots, & the first shot of doubles as well. I also use 8 1/2 shot for my close work in Sporting Clays as well. Of course use what-ever size you have laying around before you go buy a special size of shot just for skeet. Both 8 1/2's and 9's will work just fine for skeet. Even 8's will work in a pinch with the smaller bores. break em all jeff

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I like the 9's for the same reason as others that I have more pellets in the air. I shoot pretty quick. If you are slower on the trigger perhaps the 8.5's would give you an edge.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I normally use #9 shot in 410 & 28 but I don’t see any difference with #8.5
I think it’s a mental thing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts