Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so this has probably been covered here before, but...

...I'm shooting 1-oz loads of #8 shot for 16-yd singles. I would be interested in opinions about #8-1/2 and #9 shot at 16-yds. Pluses and minuses. Just thinking about the higher number of pellets with the smaller shot and whether that would be an advantage or not?

TIA,

Tom

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,202 Posts
OK, so this has probably been covered here before, but...

...I'm shooting 1-oz loads of #8 shot for 16-yd singles. I would be interested in opinions about #8-1/2 and #9 shot at 16-yds. Pluses and minuses. Just thinking about the higher number of pellets with the smaller shot and whether that would be an advantage or not?

TIA,

Tom
Step 1. Look at the top right hand corner.
Step 2. Find the magnifying glass. This is a search function.
Step 3. Enter your desired search query.
Step 4. Read the endless results on the topic you just asked about.
Step 5. Reflect on how you should do a quick search before starting new threads.
Step 6. Just shoot the darn targets with whatever you have. It. Doesn’t. Matter. For. Singles.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
When will people listen to me and make 7 3/4 size shot? That way we can have a more sensible choice and have peace and harmony. It’s rainbows and unicorns from that day forward. Now, we have to make the huge choice between those 7 1/2’s and 8’s. Dreadfully a tough choice that makes one want to scream!!!

·
Premium Member
5,861 Posts
8.5's

When will people listen to me and make 7 3/4 size shot? That way we can have a more sensible choice and have peace and harmony. It’s rainbows and unicorns from that day forward. Now, we have to make the huge choice between those 7 1/2’s and 8’s. Dreadfully a tough choice that makes one want to scream!!!
They tried similar once. See above shot size.

Can't keep a trapshooter from wanting an edge.lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
They will all work given the Indian does his job.

If I am shooting a reload on shorts I really like a 1 ounce 7 1/2 loaded with the extra lite powder (Or red dot). Low recoil good load in my opinion.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The answer is yes. Any shot size will work but the real issue comes when you play the shot and choke game. If you are trying to shoot 8.5s and open up the choke a little to gain a target here or there, you are playing a losing game. You’ll never know with a miss if you were on the target and if the shot wasn’t large enough or if your pattern was too open. Your head will get in the way and you’ll never progress past where you’re at.

I shoot varying sizes of shot, but I do it for recoil and frankly saving money when reloading. I shoot about 400 pellets in a load. That’s 3/4oz - #9; 7/8oz - #8.5; 1oz - #8; 1-1/8oz - #7.5. They all work out to about 400 pellets and then I just choose the pellet energy I need for a certain game. I shoot skeet, trap, sporting clays, so I can play around a little. But with trap it’s 8s full choke from 16-19, and 7.5 from 20 back. I’ve shot 3/4oz 9s at 40 yard targets and broke them fine, but if it didn’t break and I thought I was on I would be questioning everything.

·
Banned
933 Posts
Shoot 8's. You will find plenty of 9's, 8 1/2's and 7 1/2's in a shell containing supposed 8's. Shot isn't that precise. Factory or shot for reloading.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just reload reclaimed lead then you have a 7 1/2-8-9 mix with possibly some 5 and 6 in it as well, throw 3 dr powder behind an 1 1/8 oz of this mixture and run it through a full choke and smoke will roll baby:127:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts