Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a animal as a shot size checker? Some thing along the idea of a metal plate punched with holes to check actual shot size. The reason is I have been given around 300#s of shot, some of it is in plastic milk jugs, tin cans or in shot bags. I've tried using calipers to check size, but was looking for something a little simpler.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
You could get the appropriate # size drills and see what goes through.

I got a couple of sardine cans and drilled holes in them to sift out some large shot that was mixed in with trap sizes - 7.5 and 8s.

jk

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Grainger used to sell heavy duty screens that I used when sorting shot.
I don't know if they still sell them.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MG

I may have to go that route. Most of this appears to be the same size in the containers, but not sure of actual size.

Got a link to Grainger's or part number?

·
Premium Member
8,308 Posts
MG

I may have to go that route. Most of this appears to be the same size in the containers, but not sure of actual size.

Got a link to Grainger's or part number?
Sorry, I do not. If you call them, they will get you exactly what you need.
Use the diameters that I listed for the screen opening size.
Best of Luck,
MG

·
Premium Member
11,864 Posts
Mine looks like this. But bear in mind, pellets are far from spherical, so what you are most likely measuring is the small axis of something that is kind of rugby ball shaped, so your measurement is going to be less than it would be if you were able to "stand it on end" so to speak.

crushmearurerweb.jpg

Reactions: Spanky

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sounds like you have a bunch of homemade shot. Probably close to 71/2. Don't over think this thing. Just load and shoot. Making screens will probably cost more than it is worth for that small amount.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If all the shot in a given container is the same size, you should be able to visually check the size. #8 and #9 may appear the same when viewed separately, but a side by side view will easily detect the difference. If you don't know what size you are looking at, cut the shot from a new shell of a known shot size and use that as a reference.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
You're going to need 2 or 3 screens to sort the shot. For example: if you just used the 0.095 screen, the shot would be sorted into two groups, one larger than 0.095 and the other (that falls through the screen) equal to 0.095 and smaller.
Bob K.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Find a factory load with #8 shot it in. Open the top of the hull with a corkscrew and take out 1 pellet. Compare that pellet to what you have in the plastic jugs. If what you have in the jugs is smaller, it's probably #9. If what is in the jugs is bigger, it's probably #7 1/2. If its the same size......

·
Registered
258 Posts
Find a factory load with #8 shot it in. Open the top of the hull with a corkscrew and take out 1 pellet. Compare that pellet to what you have in the plastic jugs. If what you have in the jugs is smaller, it's probably #9. If what is in the jugs is bigger, it's probably #7 1/2. If its the same size......
Hello, is there an echo in here?:approve:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I guess if I had some shot in stock already it may be easy to compare by eye. I have jugs of 5, 7.5, 8 and 8.5. I can tell the difference between them by looking.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Hello, is there an echo in here?:approve:
Yes, but it appears necessary to say some things more than once to get them to sink in. There is a simpler way of doing this than foraging for screens with the appropriate mesh size. And I did thank your post above. It seems to have gone over peoples' heads. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts