Registered
11,395 Posts
Don,

Yes.

And I mean that sincerely.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Just in case; many shoot 8s everywhere; many shoot 7 1/2s everywhere; many shoot 7 1/2s at long yardage (your guess for definition); many swear there's no difference; many insist their gun likes or prefers 8s or 7 1/2s. I'd say you're safe deciding just about any way that builds confidence....breakemall....Bob Dodd

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
I won a handicap at the Grand with heavy 8½ long ago and have been a proponent of more bb's all my shooting career.

I have shot from the 27 since 1976, one short reduction to the 26 for one shoot, then back on the 27 ever since... I shoot 8's. I will shoot 7½ if I can't buy 8's, but it's not my preference.

I should probably qualify this with the fact that I shoot extremely fast, so this is a matter to consider. I suspect that if you take a long time to pull the trigger, the target is further out, and then maybe you may have to reconsider the above, or maybe not?!

Whiz

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I screen all my shot.

8's and smaller for first shot of doubles
7 3/4's for second shot of doubles and 16's
7 1/2's and larger for HC

It takes a bit of time but I know that my loads are much more consitent than the next guys.

I know that this improves pellet distribution without having to do any boring pattern testing. What a waste of time that is.

One last thing, I clean primer pockets for the HC loads too.

Don

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
While patterning is, even I admit, Don, perhaps more an intellectual exercise than a practical one, I wonder how you could possibly "know that this improves pellet distribution without having to do any boring pattern testing."

Neil

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
7 3/4 shot. What a brilliant idea. Then you could finally shoot with peace of mind. You could clear your head of all doubt and know that if the target didn't break, you missed. Or....maybe I used the wrong choke.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Interesting theory, HMB, but wouldn't improved pellet distribution make it _harder_ to read target breaks? In other words, does Don know this because he _can't_ read breaks anymore?

Neil

·
Registered
636 Posts
In the summer months when targets are dry, 8's from 16 yards. In the winter months when they seem to absorb moisture, I'll go to 7 1/2's.
Beyond 24 yards I and my peers shoot 7 1/2's. Also because I'm now slower at second shot in doubles, 8's for first shot, 7 1/2's for second.
Works for me but maybe not everyone.
Mike Cunningham
Groveland, CA

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Mike- Winter, cooler temperature = air that is dryer. Summer, warmer temperatures = air that is more humid. Also, how much water can pitch absorb?

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Pat, Winter, cooler temp = air that is denser = pellet slowing, pattern robbing conditions.

Summer, warmer temps + humidity = air that is conducive to retained energy and pattern density.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
zzt- I agree with your post about air density and I suspect you agree with my post about moisture and targets.

I have another observation: Winter = Cold = bad; Summer = Warm = good.

Pat Ireland

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.