Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking on ideas for screening shot? I just acquired several buckets of lead shot mixed sizes of #4#8#71/2 all clean used for testing ballast.. would like to sort it out any ideas?
thank you

·
Premium Member
10,638 Posts
Get a screen of the appropriate size from a scientific/industrial supply house. Looks like if you got the No. 4s out of the mix you'd be in business.

Reactions: trappermike

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Pick the the size holes you think you need. Get 2'x4' pieces cut. Stack them big hole to small holes top to bottom a couple of inches apart mounted on angles cuts in some 5/8 inch plywood sides about 10 inches high. Have each mesh ramp terminate in a different trough. Slowly roll the shot down the slanted mesh.

Perforated material punched with round holes

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
You will need to get three different sized screens.
.080 - 9's
.085 - 8's
.095 - 7 1/2's
Start with the .080, shake over a 5 gallon pail, any thing that does not pass is larger.
Next use your .085 shake into pail once again, anything that does not pass thru will be
shaken thru your last screen, the .095 what passes thru will be your 7 1/2 shot.
Anything left is larger than you are looking for.
This is the procedure that I use in making shot as well.
My screens are 4' x 4', to large for 5 gallon pails, but I'm sizing 500 lbs at a time.
Grainger Industrial Supply has these in stock and you can order online as well.
Best Of Luck,
MG

·
Banned
6 Posts
hi MG,i was wondering if you can help me uot with the granger part number for these screens, i went on their web site but was unable to figureout which one to order, thanks a lot FG
.080 - 9's
.085 - 8's
.095 - 7 1/2's
Start with the .080, shake over a 5 gallon pail, any thing that does not pass is larger.
Next use your .085 shake into pail once again, anything that does not pass thru will be
shaken thru your last screen, the .095 what passes thru will be your 7 1/2 shot.
My screens are 4' x 4', to large for 5 gallon pails, but I'm sizing 500 lbs at a time.
Best Of Luck,
MG

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Get a screen of the appropriate size from a scientific/industrial supply house. Looks like if you got the No. 4s out of the mix you'd be in business.
I agree! Get the #4 shot out and shoot whats left at 16 yard targets.

1/8" holes will separate the #4 shot from the #7-1/2 and #8 shot if the big shot really is .130" number #4 shot. Have yo measured the big shot so you know how big it really is?

If you start out with a small screen that just lets the smallest pellets go through first, your screen will plug up fast with the bigger pellets.

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
.080 - 9's
.085 - 8's
.095 - 7 1/2's
Best Of Luck,
MG
I'd run through the bigger screen first myself.

·
Banned
6 Posts
hi MG,i was wondering if you can help me uot with the granger part number for these screens, i went on their web site but was unable to figureout which one to order, thanks a lot FG

.080 - 9's
.085 - 8's
.095 - 7 1/2's
Best Of Luck,
MG
if anybody has the answer to this please feel free to asnswer thank you

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts

.080 - 9's
.085 - 8's
.095 - 7 1/2's
Best Of Luck,
MG
if anybody has the answer to this please feel free to asnswer thank you
I will try to find the part numbers this evening.
MG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts