Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK! ... here goes... any comments on using reclaimed shot... I have been using it and find it shoots well. How much difference over time will it hurt or not my equipment... Facts are better than "I think" it will hurt your reloader or gun... Thanks in advance for your impute., (Silver Dollar shooters club has it for sale again).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Put your shot in a tray and run a magnet over it to get out any steel shot that may be in it. It can scratch your barrel over time.

·
Banned
933 Posts
No problem if properly mined and cleaned up. Good for targets inside 30 yards. If you have chrome lined barrels they are much harder than lead or steel shot.

·
Registered
433 Posts
As nducky stated, run a magnet through it to remove any steel. That is what I do.

I always prep my reclaimed shot before I use it. I run a magnet through it, remove dirt/rocks, remove any bigger shot, remove flattened/misshapen shot, then pour it into a large coffee can or large glass bottles. Yes, it takes me time to do this. Still, I pay $1/lb of reclaimed vs. $2/lb for new. I still buy new shot but always have reclaimed shot in steady supply. I enjoy the reloading process so this time consuming reclaimed lead preparation is not an issue for me.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If it is of concern, my RCBS manual says NOT to use reclaimed shot, because "dusty shot" can cause binding of the shut-off lever. I can verify that old, dusty (oxidized) shot can and has done this and caused uncommanded shot drops and the mess it makes.

From the RCBS The Grand Instruction Manual, bottom right of page 12:

"If your shot is very dusty, this also causes the Shut Off to bind. DO NOT USE RECLAIMED SHOT!"

I suppose one can buy very clean reclaimed shot, but it is unlikely to be as clean and polished as new dropped shot.

·
Premium Member
11,829 Posts
Neil Winston tested some of Leadminer's shot and found that through a tight full choke, it patterned much like normal shot through a modified choke.

Just yesterday I shot a round of practice with shells with Leadminer's reclaimed shot and I produced 25 smokeballs.

So, although not optimum, certainly suitable for singles and doubles.

Indeed, I use Leadminer's shot for practice and for skeet shooting.

One thing I have noticed, though, and I cannot explain, is when the weather is a bit cold, there are times when I am absolutely sure I pointed correctly, but the target doesn't break... This does not seem to be the case in hot weather.

It MAY just be me...

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I suppose one can buy very clean reclaimed shot, but it is unlikely to be as clean and polished as new dropped shot.
I use to have a picture I took and posted on here of a pan that I had dumped two full bags of Leadminers reclaimed shot in. You could not tell the difference between it and the bag of new Lawerence shot in the pan next two it. There was no rocks or dirt, no dust and the shot appeared to be as round as the new shot. I can’t vouch for other reclaimed shot, but you were not sacrificing much if anything using his reclaimed shot.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I used to reload with reclaimed as that was part of how the trap club paid me after the reclaim guy went through. I got paid in hulls and milk jugs of mixed lead shot (no steel back then) sometimes, and my practice rounds were free on days I worked, best bennies of any job I ever had! Well, the Beretta rep letting us have free reign with any shotgun he brought with and all the shells we cared to shoot at Horse & Hunt's SC course was pretty sweet, too.

I'd have no problem with loading it now, though the caveat about using a magnet on it sounds like a good idea.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts