Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-
Went to a registered match today and shot singles and my first ever doubles. Singles was ok 95, but doubles was a blast. I shot a 87 which I guess is not bad for my first one but I am definitely doing this again. BTW, I shot this at the South Florida Shooting Club, wow, what a nice facility.

-jorge

·
Registered
820 Posts
Our club in the last year installed a doubles machine I shot it for the first time the other day. Yes, it is fun. I went back out by myself and practiced where I wanted to hold the gun for the first shot. That makes a big difference. So I'm reading here or over on the trap forum in shotgunworld site about international doubles. That sounds like even more fun not knowing which two of three machines are going to throw the targets. I'm asking at the club how many would be interested in trying it. I could set up a temporary bunker by moving three Lincoln trap machines we use in SCs. Either way I'll be shooting more doubles.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's awesome! They are great fun! I remember my first time in doubles I broke 51. My dad said, "well at least you got half". Barely lol You shot great!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I shot my first doubles at a registered shoot two weeks ago. Only shot in the 60’s but it was a blast. I will definitely shoot more.

·
Registered
583 Posts
you get an " attaboy " doubles are fun, I don't shoot them very good and that's probably because I don't practice them, I only shoot them at registered ATA events, but they are still fun,

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi All-
Went to a registered match today and shot singles and my first ever doubles. Singles was ok 95, but doubles was a blast. I shot a 87 which I guess is not bad for my first one but I am definitely doing this again. BTW, I shot this at the South Florida Shooting Club, wow, what a nice facility.

-jorge
I'd be interested to hear if you got any tips before shooting (where to hold the gun, which bird to shoo first, etc). I've not shot doubles but am anxious to try it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Timmer92-
No I did not get any tips (from other shooters) but I did watch all videos in youtube that had to do with doubles.
I learn the following:
1. you know where the birds are going to come out
2. Always shoot the straight away first, and shoot it as soon as you can. I think I was waiting a bit too long to shoot it
3. MAKE SURE you hit that first bird- I got in a hurry a few times and missed the first bird
4. I was surprise how far you can still hit that second bird.;-)- Stay on they gun.
5. hold points were halfway where I thought the straight away bird was going to come out
6. Watch the birds while you wait your turn, pay close attention to where that first bird is coming out.

Hope this helps. I am a very new shooter, so I hope more experience shooters will chime in

-jP

·
Premium Member
4,239 Posts
My first doubles were on the practice trap at Berea Ky.
I called broke the first one swung around and the second was just about 8 feet of the ground.
With the help of some of the best doubles shooters in the ATA and 5 or 6 years of shooting I broke my first 100 .
I'm still slowly improving and loving every minute.
Henry

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If you broke 87 your first time trying doubles, you have a gift for the sport.

You a young guy? That seems to help a faster learning curve in many sports.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not a young guy (I am 52). But, I try to be a student of the sport. I watch and read everything I can. I always knew I like trap, I just never got to it until now. I also like to compete and I plan to participate on as many registered matches as I can.
I am getting better with each outing and learning more each time. I am yet to shoot my first handicap round, will try that in my next registered match

-jP

1 - 18 of 18 Posts