Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I shot my experimental 3/4 oz 12 ga loads at our Sporting course.

Loaded to around 1250 fps, and shot through LM/LM chokes in my Blaser, I was pleased with the results and tickled with the lack of recoil and overall economy. 500 rds from a bag of shot is nothing to sneeze at.

I shot over my average, hit the longest birds on the course with authority, and had a great time. SMOKED the 35 yd rabbit target!

STS hull, RIO primer, 18 gr Titewad or 19 gr Clays, CB1075 wad, 3/4 oz Eagle 7 1/2. Am switching to Lawrence Magnum Eights for everything but Caps and Bunker.

Titewad worked very well, and may be better suited for this load, but until the supply catches up, one must use what one can find.

My favorite is Red Dot. Used it since the late 50's, it is still hard to beat.

Edited to mention that I intend to screw in some very tight chokes and try these on the 16. I already know this load is a winner with small shot on the Skeetie (Muffin) field. LOL

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I'll load 3/4 oz in 12 ga all day long before switching to a 28. Hulls are free and abundant everywhere. If I want to save my own 28 ga hulls, the loaded rounds cost on average $30 more per flat than the 12 same brand. Thank gawd they invented 3/4 oz wads for 12 ga.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Even though i seem to shoot well with a light load, i cant get my brain to "except" that i will shoot good, the whole time im shooting i hear a little voice in my head saying "your gonna miss one because of less pellets"

Maybe when im a little older and flinching i will be able to let myself enjoy the reduced cost and recoil.

·
Premium Member
12,318 Posts
I've been running 7/8 oz of lead (mostly due to finding the right wad) over 16.5 grains of Promo/Red Dot for years.

These run about 1000 ~ 1050 fps.

I had been using closer to 16 grains but I'd get the occasional blooper.

Basically no recoil yet smokes targets back to the 20 and beyond.

-

An added benefit - this is such a wimpy load I can change wads/primers almost indiscriminately with little need to worry about pressure, let's me use what is cheap and available as opposed to needing a specific component.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The economy and challenge would certainly make that fun. Using a tighter choke with that load will make you a Master Class sporties shooter when you go to the full load for competition.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Coach - that's a good load IMHO. Titewad as you know is very versatile. I use it from 11/16th's to 1 1/8 oz. I've been loading 11/16th's with Titewad for about 6 weeks now, 18.8 grs with a tight choke - it will break them way out there. I've also noticed that if I hit the clay on the fringe with 8's, and generally 1 #8, it's only dust.

Extralite is more economical because you can use 16 grs. and get approx. the same load.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John, the 28 and 410 are my favorite shotshells, but I have so many 12's that I can shoot a few times and dump, I tend to use them and conserve the Baby Bores.

Fortunately for me, I do well when snarfing small-bore hulls at our club. They want shooters to pick up their hulls, and when shooters dump the good ones on the ground or in the hull bin, I get them.

Yesterday, I shot behind five folks shooting 20 ga AA hulls. They did not understand why I did not want to jump in front of them. LOL

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Hi Coach! don't stop at just singles..let'em rip at your handicap yardage with those #8s and a light full choke and I promise you'll turn those clays inside out and like not getting pounded like a Super Duper Handicrap bombshell is prone to do

·
Registered
431 Posts
Extra Lite is made for the 3/4 oz load. I use a AA hull, 3/4 Claybuster wad, and 15.0 grains of Alliant Extra Lite, gives me 1320 fps. With this combo I don't have to change anything on the machine to get the perfect crimp. This powder burns very clean in the 3/4 oz where some other powders like Clay Dot don't.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
Hey Coach, Claybuster has a 3/4 oz. load for the 20 ga. hulls as well, if you run out of the 12's. I hope we can get some sub-gauge powders soon. By the way my score of 90 was my personal best at my local sporting clay club and was shot with my 28 ga. gun. Did I forget to mention How much I love my 28. LOL. But I can see how these new wads would benefit shooters using only one gun. Break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'm shooting 17.4 gr. promo, DR 7/8 oz. wads, 3/4 oz. reclaimed shot, GC hulls. And I love it! It is all I'm practice with, and whenever I switch to 1 oz. my score goes down.
I'm no long yardage guy but I practice back to the 27. If I do my job they break.
dju

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try this from the 16:

Alliant e3: Has been clean and amazingly consistent in the dead of winter. Loading this recipe for a while now:

14.2 -14.7 grains (personal preference) over a CCI209M / FED 209A, CB 0175-12 in a Rem hull with 3/4oz of #9.

Cycles my 391 at night shoots in the winter on the skeet / trap field.

Put #8's in, and it makes a good little sporting load as well..

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems I am not the only one interested in light, snappy, nearly recoil free 12 ga loads.

I prefer the Baby Bores, but my 34" Blaser 12 is the best handling shotgun I have ever had, and there is a butt-ton of 12 ga hulls in the storage shed. LOL

The 3/4 oz 12 ga load at 1250 will break a 45 yard midi and 35 yard rabbit with authority (LM/LM)
Am not so sure the 28 can get there. The 12 patterns better with the light load. The 3/4 oz in the 28 is about Full House.

I believe, and have seen good evidence, the shorter the shot column, the better the pattern.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Coach, I concur and started with the 3/4 oz. in a CB0175-12 wad with Extra-Lite. That worked so well, went to the 11/16th's in the same wad with Titewad (ran out of Extra-Lite) out of a full choke - outstanding performance. Loading for approx. $35/flat/net on current component cost.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
I'm currently loading some 7/8 oz loads. and they break 16 yard targets. I've never tried 3/4 oz is it worth buying another charge bar?

Brady

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I've shot those factory 3/4oz Remington loads that are like 1400-1450fps if I remember correctly and in long birds out of my Invector Plus LF when I connected it was hard to believe the breaks at distances that would make your jaw drop ..I miss the fact that at before the Obama ammo scares I could get those on the special sales at Walfart for 3.89 a box

1 - 20 of 30 Posts