Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a shot maker and built a tank so I can start making my own shot. I am trying to decide which coolant is the best. I have concidered Hydrolic fluid, Cooking oil, crop oil, ect.. Anyone have any experience with these or have any suggestions? Thanks.. Brandon

·
Registered
776 Posts
Actually, when my Dad was alive he had a tank filled with Brake Fluid. Altho' I wasn't there when he made it, judging by all the empty plastic Brake Fluid bottles, I can only assume that's what he used.

·
Registered
33,924 Posts
I use liquid laundry soap.

Cheap

Non toxic

Does not ruin finishes like brake fluid.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Jackie, do as Rick said, use soap. I had three Littleton 220 volt machines and run about 7 tons of shot some years ago. We started with Met safe water soluble hydraulic fluid until it just cost too much, than I switched to liquid ultra soap and that worked good for me. I used it at 100%. You will just have to experiment with different soaps until you get the one that works for you. All soaps are not the same. Dex

·
Registered
33,924 Posts
Straight out of the bottle, no particular brand.

The thing I learned is to drop the shot a long distance through the coolant, takes longer to heat and helps make rounder shot. I use a container that holds about 6 gallon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought the soap from the dollar store. It runs 2 bucks a gallon. My tank holds about 15 gallons. I heat the soap up with a water heater element I got at the local hardware store for 5 bucks I heat to about 100 degrees and then start making shot.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Trim E206 metal working coolant, Mix at 5-6 to 1. Wash off with water, and it smells good. I've tried all the rest noted above as well as a few other mixtures, and I can assure you Trim E206 is the easiest way to go.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Shot410ga, where do find E206? I went to the local stores, and NAPA and they didn't have any and couldn't find a supplier for it. I did find it online but was pretty expensive purchasing online and shipping. Thanks for your response. Jackie B.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Shooting Jack: I buy mine at Graingers, but almost any industrial distributor will carry it. It's used in almost every CNC machining center. As I recall around $30 a gallon. Mix 6/1 with water. When it needs more due to evaporation I just add the same amount 6/1. I've yet to change the original, I put in maybe two years ago. I use a 20mm ammo can with a shot drop basket, and a overflow plastic tub for run off. One short wash off in a 5 gal pail and the shot is ready to go on the screens in the sun. Almost no cleanup, great stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.