Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
8,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Would like to thank Tim for all his research as we all know it takes a lot of time and effort so I wanted to post these test results at the top of the shooting related section here so everyone could have easy access. We are also aware that Tim has tested shot samples sent to him by forum members so that is much appreciated also. Thanks George/Admin.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Some recent testing I have done.

Reminder of the scale.

The numbers below are "thousandths of an inch crush."

So:

22 and less = Hard
23-24 = Medium-Hard
25-26 = Medium
27-28 = Medium-Soft
29-39 = Soft
40 and above = CRAP!

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Some more recent testing I have done in late October and November.

Thanks to everyone who has sent me pellets to test. It really sheds light on what is available out there. And a lot of it ain't so great!

I recently went in with a friend of mine and got 20 bags of Remington STS 7-1/2's from CAC. That'll hold me over for a while.

I also bought 10 bags of West Coast, four are 8-1/2's and six are 8's. I'll use these for singles. Disappointingly soft.

I also picked up 3 flats of Aguila 1-1/8 ounce 1200 fps 7-1/2's to see how the work from the 27 yard line. I already have 4 flats of the 1250 fps handicap shells, but the recoil is stout. If the 1200 fps shells do the job, I may just go with them.

Weird anomaly testing the Aguila pellets. I cut apart three cartridges, one from each flat (all three flats are the same Lot Number) and although the vast majority of the pellets I crushed tested out hard, two or three tested out remarkably soft. Maybe those pellets were from a different melt? Maybe the mixture just wasn't completely homogenous?

Dunno. But the hard pellets were VERY hard. Slightly harder than the STS shot.

The numbers below are "thousandths of an inch crush."

22 and less = Hard
23-24 = Medium-Hard
25-26 = Medium
27-28 = Medium-Soft
29-39 = Soft
40 and above = CRAP!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.