Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

********** Shot Distance **********

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  hmb 
#1 ·
With all things equal what barrel angle above the horizon will allow 7 ½ shot to travel the greatest distance?

Would a barrel angle of 45 degrees above the horizon allow 7 ½ shot to travel farther in distance than a barrel angle of ten degrees above the horizon?

Any thoughts or a formula to calculate the numbers.

Thanks …………

#5 ·
Skip, I looked it up using Lowry's Shotshell Ballistics for Windows and for a heavy 7 1/2s

The max range is 697 feet.

The max height this way is 180 feet.

The required launch angle is 24.1 degrees.

The shot will hit at an angle of 72 degrees going 78 feet per second having flown for 6.2 seconds.

Neil

#6 ·
"Why the smart remark? There are clubs in my area that have a shot size restriction because of population, or other safety concerns, the requester was just trying to get some serious information, I teach hunter trapper education classes, that is good information to know, when teaching kids, I think your remark was out of line, this is a information/learning type site, I for one have gleem much information. I opened the thread for that reason

Fred "

Time to move the club Fred if the population is getting to thick to shoot a shotgun...trapping? who in the hell traps, no animals left to trap except maybe a few field mice, and maybe a **** or two.

#7 ·
Semper Fi Marine, we needed the same information for my club awhile back. Move the club..........there's a intelligent answer. With the state of guns and gun clubs in American we will just up and move one..........and never reopen again due to public pressures, dumb laws, and idiot politicians.

#9 ·
From walking many ranges for reclaim purposes I have found that most shot will not travel more than 225 yards. At trap only clubs the majority of the shot is between 125 yrds and 175 yrds skeet overlays will start at around 100 yrds. A slope in the terrain away from the house will increase the amount of distance shot travels as well. No scientific data here just my own experience.

More ranges need to be getting BMP or Best Management Practices done to help in the case of lawsuits or neighbor problems. Dick Peddicord is highly recommended by the NRA as well as others.

Since the price of lead has been hovering around the $.50 for pig lead and scrap prices around the $.20 mark reclaim is not profitable for the clubs nor the reclaim companies for the most part, gun clubs need to know how to manage their lead for the long term.

Just my opinion once again.

#10 ·
Thanks Neil and everyone who responded with your comments. There all valuable to anyone looking for this type of information.

We put up a shot fence two years ago, about 650 feet from the 16 yard line. The fence is about 20-24 feet high. Yes there is fresh water a short distance behind it.

So far the lead pellets are hitting every square foot of the fence leaving small round indentations in the pressure treated wood as evidence thats it's working.

Don't know for sure what the barrel angle is above the horizon when shooting at a 16 yard target when the target is at the apex of it's flight. Maybe ten degrees or so. Did any one ever make that measurement?

Thanks again.

#13 ·
I seem to recall when they built the Sparta facility there was talk of 900 ft (300 Yds) as the required shotfall but they went out to 1200 ft (400 yds) as you are shooting towards a road. Better to be safe I suppose was their thought. Anyway, never heard of a car getting hit at Sparta as of yet.
Colonel

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.