Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Coolant used was fabric softener.
I would like to know your results with laundry detergent? How is it for washing of?
I have used low tox antifreeze, Sierra Brand and had good results, but can not get it locally, and at 16.00 gallon verses 2.00 gallon fabric softener.

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
When I made shot, I used liquid laundry detergent, the cheapest I could find. As far as washing it off, I did not find it that difficult, I had a wire weave waste basket that i put in the laundry sink and ran water off of it, if it rained, I put on the driveway and let the rain rinse it. I never really got to worried if it did not rinse off completely because the soap acted like a lube.

I used a tall five gallon can, for a long drop. The most important thing I watched was the temperature of the soap as the lead heated it up. When the temp reached 100 degree, I shut the shot maker off.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I made shot, I used liquid laundry detergent, the cheapest I could find. As far as washing it off, I did not find it that difficult, I had a wire weave waste basket that i put in the laundry sink and ran water off of it, if it rained, I put on the driveway and let the rain rinse it. I never really got to worried if it did not rinse off completely because the soap acted like a lube.

I used a tall five gallon can, for a long drop. The most important thing I watched was the temperature of the soap as the lead heated it up. When the temp reached 100 degree, I shut the shot maker off.
Thanks for the info. I can run the coolant through a radiator submerged in water to keep the coolant from getting to hot.
Did you have any foam at the top of the coolant in the reservoir?

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
Thanks for the info. I can run the coolant through a radiator submerged in water to keep the coolant from getting to hot.
Did you have any foam at the top of the coolant in the reservoir?
No.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use fabric softner only. Cheap and can re re-used over and over. When i dip the shot out of the drop bucket I put it in a 5 gal bucket and stick a water hose in all the way to the bottom. Swishing the shot around occasionally till the water is clear. Then I pour it out on to old towels to dry. Then I sift it to size and put about 5 lbs. into my Lyman vibratory case cleaner with a squirt of graphite. After about 10 min the shot is bright and shiny just like the factory stuff.
100_1439.JPG 100_1438.JPG

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then I pour it out on to old towels to dry. Then I sift it to size and put about 5 lbs. into my Lyman vibratory case cleaner with a squirt of graphite. After about 10 min the shot is bright and shiny just like the factory stuff.
I do the same as quoted.
But had to change my process with fabric softener.
I have 8 gallon ammo can, and with in the can a smaller ammo can with drilled holes in the bottom covered with screen, and a handle across the top to pull it out. The fabric softener does not drain like antifreeze. I used two smaller cans, pulled the one up and let drain back into the larger can for a few seconds, set aside draining into a tote to save some coolant, put the other smaller can into the larger one. Wash the first one with water. This would allow a continuation of the process. And a circulation of the coolant through a water submerged raidiator.
I would post a picture, but stuff is in storage shed.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I use to use a machine tool coolant at 6/1 water to coolant. It washed right off, best stuff I ever tried, with no mess.

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
I think coolant would Be a much better choice for the volume shot maker.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hot Water at 190 degrees, this is what I use in a 55 gallon drum with hot water heating elements. The drum is insulated and on legs with a 3 inch ball valve at bottom for draining.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have also had good luck with machine oil, but I am running low and my source for more is gone. I tried Sierra antifreeze but was never really successful with it making quality shot, so I went back to machine oil. I may give the laundry softener or soap a try next batch.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
. I have also had good luck with machine oil, but I am running low and my source for more is gone. I tried Sierra antifreeze but was never really successful with it making quality shot, so I went back to machine oil. I may give the laundry softener or soap a try next batch.
A local shot maker went from fabric softener to laundry detergent.
I had to add some laundry detergent to the Sierra antifreeze for surface tension to get rid of the dimple. This was suggested by Jim101.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
. I have also had good luck with machine oil, but I am running low and my source for more is gone. I tried Sierra antifreeze but was never really successful with it making quality shot, so I went back to machine oil. I may give the laundry softener or soap a try next batch.
I am north of you in same state. The photo was of some shot at the end my long 6 day run. Some runs were better. One local shooter uses break fluid, but was asking about other coolants Due the cost of break fluid. The other local shot maker went to laundry detergent from the dollar store.
One main key is the temp of the coolant. I have ran a cooling system with machine oil, and antifreeze, but not sure if I would get foaming with laundry detergent.
The fabric softener saved me approx 160-180 dollars in cost on my last run.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts