Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29,592 Posts
Friend of mine used to make straight side wall bushings for people by taking alum stock and machining it to their requests.

Remember, shot bushings follow a volume measurement not weight. Your reloading recipes are based on measurement not weight of the shot. Having said that, there are bushings out there bored for shot shine and weight. What are you looking for?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Friend of mine used to make straight side wall bushings for people by taking alum stock and machining it to their requests.

Remember, shot bushings follow a volume measurement not weight. Your reloading recipes are based on measurement not weight of the shot. Having said that, there are bushings out there bored for shot shine and weight. What are you looking for?
My load calls for 15g the nearest bushing drops 15.8. Need to reduce it. The next lower is 14.1g average These are powder.shot is no problem if off some.

·
Registered
29,592 Posts
My load calls for 15g the nearest bushing drops 15.8. Need to reduce it. The next lower is 14.1g average These are powder.shot is no problem if off some.
Oh, well my confusion. Your post said “shot” not powder. Simplest trick used by many for years is to take a one size larger powder busing and coat the inside with nail polish to reduce the volume to a smaller size.

·
Premium Member
7,263 Posts
Well then why not get the bushing that drops 14.1 and start filing it out until your drops = 15.6. Then get a 1/4" dowel rod, chuck it up in an electric drill tape 220 grip sand paper on to it and remove the last little bit to get your drops to 15.8.
This whole procedure can also be done with a dremel tool with the drum sanding bit. It takes all of 5 min. take your time, a little goes a long way, weigh the drops often.
It's really simple,
MG

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You could file out the smaller bushing to get the drop you’re looking for or fill the next larger size bushing with jb weld,fingernail polish or foil tape to get the desired results.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My
Oh, well my confusion. Your post said “shot” not powder. Simplest trick used by many for years is to take a one size larger powder busing and coat the inside with nail polish to reduce the volume to a smaller size.
My bad meant powder bushing. Had a brain seizure.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If it were me, I’d install the 15.8 and roll with it. I used to get caught up in this kind of minutia. Glad thats behind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
646 Posts
Try a Universal Charge Bar. For $50 you have every bushing you will ever need. All you have to do is learn to turn a dial correctly. Following the printed directions is not a strong point for most men, myself included. The directions are very good and they work. The next bag of shot or next jug of powder only requires a slight twist and you have the perfect bushing once again.
The only draw back I have found is really dense powder like Winchester Super Handicap. All other powder I have used works great. I haven't found a brand or size of shot that doesn't work.

·
Registered
11,552 Posts
Use the one that throws 14.1 and fuggedaboutit.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Try a Universal Charge Bar. For $50 you have every bushing you will ever need. All you have to do is learn to turn a dial correctly. Following the printed directions is not a strong point for most men, myself included. The directions are very good and they work. The next bag of shot or next jug of powder only requires a slight twist and you have the perfect bushing once again.
The only draw back I have found is really dense powder like Winchester Super Handicap. All other powder I have used works great. I haven't found a brand or size of shot that doesn't work.
Agreed on the Universal - I've had one back 15-20 years ago and it is pretty easy to use. You can dial it in exactly. I have had people tell me that there is an issue with square hole to round hole and powder drop. Never seen it as a problem. I just use bushings now - if you chronograph your shells you'll get a .5g difference worth of speed anyway......

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well then why not get the bushing that drops 14.1 and start filing it out until your drops = 15.6. Then get a 1/4" dowel rod, chuck it up in an electric drill tape 220 grip sand paper on to it and remove the last little bit to get your drops to 15.8.
This whole procedure can also be done with a dremel tool with the drum sanding bit. It takes all of 5 min. take your time, a little goes a long way, weigh the drops often.
It's really simple,
MG
That’s what I do, I get a bushing smaller, using an electric hand drill, I sand the inside to drop what I need. Then I file off the busing number so not to get confused with others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts