Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I do not like pouring shot out of a bag into bottles in the basement so I do it in the garage.

This is not elegant or rocket science but I made up a shot bottle caddy to hold four empty small MEC shot bottles to get them filled in the garage and back to the loading area in the basement. A bag of shot divides readily into four bottles. There is a handle on both ends for easier carrying and holes in the bottom plate to keep the bottles vertical.

Cheers,

jk

View attachment 307955
View attachment 307956

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: here is another tip. Pour your shot into a Simply Orange, orange plastic bottle with a handle. It makes pouring shot into the hopper a lot easier. I have 4 that I use for 4 different shot sizes. Your idea looks good for those using a Mec. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I empty a shot bag into a coffee can, and then use a metal cup with a handle and a funnel to fill my shot bottle while it is on the press.

Reactions: Win571

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Necessity is the mother of invention. Nice work on your shot caddy. It may not be for everyone but it works for you and that is what counts. Nice job.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Make sure each bottle has a cap on the threaded end before filling!!!

I too use a coffee can, metal cup and funnel to fill my MEC bottles on the reloader. -Ed

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
LOL thats exactly what I do. Stand on my step stool and transfer product.
Holy bench height batman, how high is your loading bench where ya gots to stand on the stool to reach your bottles? I am like some others here, bottle never leaves the loader, use a funnel, but I dip out of a 5 gallon bucket filled with reclaim with a good sized cup (one the the wife unit let me have never to return to the kitchen) and it only takes a few cup to fill it, all from a sitting position. I don't like the tall bottle, if something happens, it's too much to handle or empty.

·
Banned
272 Posts
coffee can , use a tin snipes to cut a spout , open bag pour shot in , use a funnel to fill bottle while attached to press , works great

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Holy bench height batman, how high is your loading bench where ya gots to stand on the stool to reach your bottles? I am like some others here, bottle never leaves the loader, use a funnel, but I dip out of a 5 gallon bucket filled with reclaim with a good sized cup (one the the wife unit let me have never to return to the kitchen) and it only takes a few cup to fill it, all from a sitting position. I don't like the tall bottle, if something happens, it's too much to handle or empty.
LOL, Dirt Stirrer, well I have a PW 800+ on top of an old MAC tool box, which I made a frame and 4" casters that the box sets on. next to the PW is a Dillon 650, and I sit on a bar stool and press the switch to make the motor spit out a shell, but to comfortably load powder and shot I use my small step stool while dipping shot out of my coffee can. When I had my MEC, I did have the tall bottle for shot, and would put the MEC funnel on it and again stand on my step stool and fill it, LOL Take care, Steve

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have the old style (tall) shot tube on my PW. I transfer the full bag of shot to a plastic UTZ snack container. From there I dump half into a quart deli container. I can squeeze the opening into a spout and pour the shot into the press without the use of a funnel. I can do it quicker than I can explain it. And I don't spill any shot.
That used to piss me off quick when I spilled shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I use Rubbermaid 2 gallon drink pitchers, have one for each size shot. They hold a 25# bag with room to spare and the built-in pour spout makes it easy to fill/refill your shot bottle through the funnel and the lid makes it easy to store and refill.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Like jacksback, I just empty the shot bag into a plastic pitcher, then I can easily pour the shot into the MEC bottle. I just use my hand over the opening to make sure nothing spills.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
You fill them in the garage in case you spill? or is it the lead dust ?

I pour it in the bottle right on the loader,
I use the bottle supports and dislike tipping the rig back.

DGH

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I load on a 366 with Jim Skeel's large shot/powder tubes. I take a full bag of shot, open it, and insert the whole bag upside down into the shot tube. Then lift the bag out. It will hold more than a bag of shot so it's no issue. I have a small mark on the bottle so I know when a full bag will fit again. To give ya'll some amusement, I have to stand on a stool to fill my shot and powder. It's hell being vertically challenged.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DGH,

Lead dust is the worry. Most likely not a big issue just want to be as safe as possible.

jk

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
DGH,

Lead dust is the worry. Most likely not a big issue just want to be as safe as possible.

jk
I had figured so..

I wonder about the number of cartridges I have loaded over all the years with hard cast lead, Handling each bullet, Didn't smoke, and always wash hands after loading,,

who knows right...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts