Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled on a cleaner that seems to remove lead and powder residue from Shot and Powder tubes ( at least the ones on my Spolar loaders). My first thought was to try an automotive headlight lens cleaner. I use RGS bore cleaner on my barrels, had some handy and decided to give it a try . The results were better than expected , the improvement was at least 100 percent. I am not sure if the Spolar tubes are constructed of plexiglass acrilic or another material but RGS does not seem to damage the Spolar Tubes. If you try this with any other tubes you may want to test a small area to make sure that the chemical does not damage your tubes.

The powder tube in the following pictures was almost opaque. I tried cleaning the tube with soap and water , simple green and goof off with poor or no results. The final picture is a comparison to a new Spolar powder tube on the right.

If you know of a chemical that works better than this please let me know. If this has already been covered with better results sorry for the duplication.

Bill Sergent

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the post. Another use for the RGS. We get comments from many of our customers for other uses for our cleaner. One guy was a garage door installer, and uses the RGS to clean and lube the door tradcks.

Nick Thanos
RGS GUY

·
Registered
93 Posts
You see? Now you're doing something to help me. Did you swab out the tubes or simply slosh the stuff around with undiluted or diluted RGS. Is the use of the RGS stuff a one time use or did you rebottle it for cleaning and lubing guns?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Subject: Shot and Powder bottle cleaner (Wierd Science).
Date: Wed, Jan 29, 2014 - 08:13 AM ET
Website Address:

DOES work for the residue...does NOT work for the orange stain in the plastic.

Mike

Mike,

You are absolutely correct , the orange stain in the plastic is not repairable / removable by the chemical.

Date: Wed, Jan 29, 2014 - 04:59 PM ET
Website Address:

You see? Now you're doing something to help me. Did you swab out the tubes or simply slosh the stuff around with undiluted or diluted RGS. Is the use of the RGS stuff a one time use or did you rebottle it for cleaning and lubing guns?

I simply used a wadded up a paper towel with RGS applied full strengh to it. A barrel cleaning rod with a 12 gage brush seemed to work great with the paper towel. It didnt take very much RGS to clean the bottles , I simply discarded the towels after use.

Bill Sergent

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Date: Wed, Jan 29, 2014 - 10:06 PM ET
Website Address:

Just curious as to why you need to clean the bottles or tubes ?

I do fairly hi volume reloading using two machines. In the past I have glanced at the shot and powder tubes with the dark residue on them and thought that they still had material in them. When I noticed that the shot or power tube was empty it was too late , there was already defective shells in my five gallon buckets under the machines.

I realize that the powder and shot tubes are fairly inexpensive to purchase , but but I thought that this easy method may help someone.

Bill Sergent

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My buddy Robert told me that Hornady One Shot works well also , you may want to give it a shot !

Cheers,

Bill Sergent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts