Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the 26 yard line.

I was not impressed. I don't think I learned anything.

It seemed as though the thing was assigning random locations for where the shot pattern was in relationship to where the target was.

Now mind you, I was shooting like crap...I think I broke a 16, but it was assigning misses as though I was high and left on missed hard lefts from Station 1 (I am 75% sure I was way behind them) and then there were a few cases of broken targets where it said the center of the pattern was 14 - 16 inches from the target, and a couple of lost targets where it said the center of pattern was 5 inches from the target. And two hard right's from Station 5 that I hit, it didn't even register.

It said my reaction time was between 0.5 and 0.7 seconds (a few in the 0.45 range that were straight-away's), and it said I was breaking targets from 42 to 46 yards from the device.

I'm not sure I can believe anything it said.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had the same experience with the Garmin Tim, I had targets I smoked and it said I was 12" low. I had one target I broke and it said 22" under. I made adjustments based on this info and it made things worse.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm glad I can't afford a Garmin... :bh01:

Thanks Tim for confirming this !
Well, I'm not sure if the problem is with the device they have (I have heard there have been some software updates that help a lot) or if it was the trap help kid setting it up right.

Garmin is a local company here in the KC metro (Olathe, KS) and one of the guys who was showing it off at the Grand last year shoots in our club trap league. I might see if I can set up a session with him to see if it works better when someone who really knows the device is setting it up.

I'm not ready to say the thing "doesn't work" or that it "works, but not at handicap distance" just yet.

Reactions: grizquad

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I'm not a very big fan of that type of technology.

I really shouldn't have 'bad mouthed' it, but...

We can blame it on the trap boy. LOL

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
I'm not a very big fan of that type of technology.

I really shouldn't have 'bad mouthed' it, but...

We can blame it on the trap boy. LOL
I wouldn't change your tone just because Tim says it may not be set up right - that's the problem with tech, it's only as good as the operator, not to mention...none of it means squat if you haven't already established somewhat of a solid foundation.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
our team has 3 of them. first make sure it has been updated. some of the original software seemed to always be reading shot patterns as low and left.
I have probably shot 15 rounds with one and believe it is at least 75% accurate on shot location.
they are a hassle to shoot with a squad and just one more thing to distract you when trying to shot.
We do have one kid that wants to use it everytime he shoots. it always show him behind it which is consistent since he never follows through.
overall I think it's a useful tool, but a buddy with good eyes standing behind you is a whole lot cheaper

·
Registered
32,283 Posts
I have forgotten the discussion in past threads about this, but is this device designed to work at handicap distance or is it designed to work from the 16 only?

·
Registered
22,875 Posts
First, call Phil.
Second, if the device is right you might need to change bullets.

·
Registered
22,875 Posts
Why would he need to change bullets? Please elaborate.
Because if the center of his pattern is 4/5 inches from the target and the target doesn’t break it is the bullet.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts