Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I shot a few of the small batch I loaded. Noisy (was surprised the staff did not come out and ask about the ammo), pushes me around a little, and absolutely destroys 50+ yd targets with the Extra Full choke. Nothing uncomfortable, but my gun fits.

Will I load them again? Likely not. Can't really tell any improvement in performance over 1300 foot loads with the same amount and type of shot (Lawrence Magnum 7 1/2).

Mainly, the load calls for the better part of 28 gr of Herco, and the WAA12R or clone wad. The wad is hard to find, and the progressive press empties the powder bottle with alarming speed.

Solved my curiosity about super fast loads. Seems 1300 with 1 1/8 oz is at the point of diminishing returns for Sporting ammo. It does give satisfying breaks at any range with an Extra Full choke. The kind of break when a solid is turned into a vapor.

·
Perazzi MX10RS
1,940 Posts
But it's not legal for trap !
You'd think trap is what we would all be talking about considering this is "trapshooters.com". Truth is, we are being overrun by sporting shooters because they don't have anywhere else to go and are jealous that we have a great trapshooting community. And just like at the clubs, they think they are better than everyone else.

*For those who are unable to take something in good part.....this was said in jest.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
You'd think trap is what we would all be talking about considering this is "trapshooters.com". Truth is, we are being overrun by sporting shooters because they don't have anywhere else to go and are jealous that we have a great trapshooting community. And just like at the clubs, they think they are better than everyone else.
I think it is more sinister than that. I've heard on podcasts that the NSCA is trying to recruit ATA members to get a slice of the ATA pie.

Secondly, ShotgunWorld.com has a sporting forum, www.sportingclaysnation.com exists and there are a number of Facebook groups as well. So the sporties have a place to go, if they want to.

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts

So we are a trapshooting community and site is so stated by name.

So why don't sporting and skeet related items not have to be placed in the Off Topic section? Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Really? The coach has over 10,000 posts on here that range from trap to everything else. He is not the guy to shit on. The coach is the guy you choose to shit on? Come on man!

·
Perazzi MX10RS
1,940 Posts
Really? The coach has over 10,000 posts on here that range from trap to everything else. He is not the guy to shit on. The coach is the guy you choose to shit on? Come on man!
You took that WAY out of context. I did not, nor was it my intention to shit on coach. Some guys just take things too damn seriously. Come on man!

Not all trap shooters, especially those who have also shot and enjoyed skeet, sporting clays, FITASC, 5-stand, wobbletrap, live birds, bunker and longbird games have the same low self-esteem as those who whine about their sandbox being invaded.
I can guarantee that most of us (including me) have shot all those other games! See my statement above to superx. Some peoples buttholes are wrapped pretty tightly. Wow!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Physics. The faster it starts the faster it slows down, You get little of the extra speed by the time the shot gets to the target. For, example, my reference for target distance of 50 yards

1200 fps time to target 0.186 sec speed at target 610fps

1295 fps time to target 0.177 sec speed at target 630fps

I don't have #'s for 1350, but you get the point.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
You took that WAY out of context. I did not, nor was it my intention to shit on coach. Some guys just take things too damn seriously. Come on man!

I can guarantee that most of us (including me) have shot all those other games! See my statement above to superx. Some peoples buttholes are wrapped pretty tightly. Wow!

View attachment 1740263
No, you blew the lid off the entire Sporties invasion of TS.com...maybe intentionally, maybe not. What has been seen cannot be unseen, much like Rosie O'Donnell nude.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Physics. The faster it starts the faster it slows down, You get little of the extra speed by the time the shot gets to the target. For, example, my reference for target distance of 50 yards

1200 fps time to target 0.186 sec speed at target 610fps

1295 fps time to target 0.177 sec speed at target 630fps

I don't have #'s for 1350, but you get the point.
Shot size?

·
Registered
10,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have indeed shot a lot of trap. Right now, I can drive the Sporting course in my car with the heat on. Standing on our berm with a frigid wind coming off the Cumberland river is not fun. Standing on the berm last summer in 95 degree heat was no fun.

I have a thick skin, but consider this. If only ATA members who have shot or do shoot registered targets were allowed on this forum, and could only discuss trap or trap related subjects, it likely would go under for lack of participation. BTW, I am a longtime ATA life member who shoots or has shot registered. Many of my fellow posters here also shoot many disciplines other than American Trap.

P.S. I have indeed been shot at and missed, pooped on and hit. Literally. LOL

·
Registered
275 Posts
But it's not legal for trap !
Not legal for ATA. Last I checked this site wasn't specifically dedicated to ATA registered trap shooting. There are plenty of Non ATA trap shoots that have their own rules and regs in regards to what size shot and velocity can be used. Many clubs out there have no restrictions at all.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Have indeed shot a lot of trap. Right now, I can drive the Sporting course in my car with the heat on. Standing on our berm with a frigid wind coming off the Cumberland river is not fun. Standing on the berm last summer in 95 degree heat was no fun.

I have a thick skin, but consider this. If only ATA members who have shot or do shoot registered targets were allowed on this forum, and could only discuss trap or trap related subjects, it likely would go under for lack of participation. BTW, I am a longtime ATA life member who shoots or has shot registered. Many of my fellow posters here also shoot many disciplines other than American Trap.

P.S. I have indeed been shot at and missed, pooped on and hit. Literally. LOL
Perfect summary Coach! Many of us started shooting trap only to realized that sporting clays is more funner 😎.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Up here, all you have to do is drive past a specific sporting clays course, and a specific trap club to see that a migration is happening. Many aging ATA shooters of the past are now only shooting sporting clays. There is no doubt that sporting clays offers some variety, and takes some time to enjoy the shooting experience. It also is not judged by a perfect score being the only euphoria instead of a let down without it. ATA shoots are few and far between.

You eliminate those that shoot or talk of other disciplines here, all you will have left are the high strung trap shooter only crowd. After all, shooting a shotgun pretty much requires the same thing for all the disciplines. The mind games seem to be the only difference really.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I'm a trapshooter. Never shot sporting clays. Shot skeet twice in my life. I don't feel like I've been missing out on anything either but eh, that's just me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts