Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to pull up an old thread so bear with me.
Back in Oct I picked up a Model 12 with an original stock with just a plastic butt plate. It has a 14" Lop. Back then I bought a 1.125" Kickeez pad to go on it and a pad grinding jig. I never got around to doing it.
I was looking at it today and decided why not give one of those Falcon Strike pads a try.
Looking at the butt of the stock, it seems to have some pitch angle in it since the edge isn't 90* to the top of the receiver.
Should I cut it to match the original pitch angle or 90* to the receiver?

I have watched a video from Larry Potterfield shortening a m12 stock and he showed it had some pitch angle originally and said most modern guns are cut 90* to the top of the receiver. Again makes me wonder how I should cut it and what the advantage or disadvantages are?

·
Registered
175 Posts
If the gun is long on the toe for pitch it can cause it to rise when you shoot one of the primary causes of face slap. Mount the gun like your going to shoot and feel where the gun presses into your shoulder it should be even all the way up and down or slightly tighter on top. You can play around with this before you cut it by placing washers between the pad and the stock on the screws to change the pitch and find what works for you.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don’t cut that stock to fit an unproven oil bladder recoil pad!

Why? If it ends up being dimensionally the same as what I would put on it installing a kickeez or microcell pad why not cut it? It's already 14.125" which is right in line with my other guns. I'm willing to listen but I'd like to hear your logic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts