Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my over a half century of being in this game I have seen a lot of guns come and go. Some of these had a brief History . Some of them were really good guns ,others only fair . First off the Mossberg 500 Trap model ,and YES Virginia , I'm not pulling your leg, it DID exist ! It was labeled as the AHT model. It was fitted with a high comb and a raised Simmons rib. I shot one a time or two and it handled pretty well .It's only draw back was it's trigger which left a lot to be desired. -- Next was a gun that was well ahead of it's time for the early 1980s, the ST-100. It was manufactured for Browning in Belgium. It was an O/U that had an adjustment for POI and had figure 8 style barrel support collars. The gun was not cheap for those days , ( which is probably why it's production was short lived) but, it was way ahead of it's time in design and was a really well made gun.---- Another Browning model that never caught on was the Browning 2000 semi automatic. It was a gas operated gun with a loading port on the left side of the receiver. It pointed well but ,just never caught up in sales with the 1100 ,and at that time Winchester was producing the Super X-1 and both were less expensive . The model 2000 was a hoot to watch during late evening shoot offs. If you looked quick you could see fire from THREE holes , One from the barrel, one from the ejection port , and one from the loading gate ! -------Savage had two O/U Trap Guns that were produced for a short time ,the 330 and the 333. These guns were made for savage by Valmet and used that design. They were short lived but actually pretty good shotguns. The 330 did not have ejectors but the 333 did.------Another gun that was around for a short time was the Beretta TR-1. It was a plain and simple S/B Trap gun that used a lever attachment in front of the trigger guard to open the gun. It wasn't fancy and it was probably Beretta's attempt to compete with the BT-99 in the American market. As with all Beretta products it was really a well made gun. ----Another candidate was the Ithaca model 51 semi auto. I owned one. It balanced well and I shot some REALLY GOOD scores with it. It had a good start and an excellent warranty but ,it had one bad issue that probably killed it. It broke action bars like nobody's business! Under their warranty program Ithaca would only mail you one at a time and you had to send them the broken bar first and you had to take it to an authorized Ithaca repair station . After 3 times I gave up and traded the gun. --Then there was the Ljutic "Space Gun" this gun looked more like a weed eater or pogo stick that a shotgun ! It was straight as a 2x4 , had a raised rib that was fitted on the forward end of the barrel and a "button" that fired it instead of the conventional trigger ,and they WEREN'T CHEAP ! You saw them for a while in the 80s but they quickly faded from the trap Line and today those that have them, keep them as more of a conversation piece. Remington's Model 58 ( their first gas operated semi auto ) only lasted 7 years. ( 1956-1963) . It was known to have some problems with cracked receivers. It was discontinued when Remington brought out the 1100. My last entry is the Remington 870 "All American" produced first in 1972 . I am told they only produced 1,000 of them but, not sure if that is correct and I haven't found the exact numbers on line. I liked the gun but, some have said they "overdid" the scroll work and some have mocked it as "The tattooed Lady " At any rate it is solid, like any other 870. There are more "short" time Trap guns but that's all off the top of my had . Maybe somebody has more in mind .

·
Registered
62 Posts
How about the Browning Recoilless shotgun? Those seemed to disappear as quick as the appeared. I never owned one, but shot one a few times for the novelty of it. They were popular with the old dudes then (me now) that had the arthritis and other ailments...LOL. From what I remember though, they had to be cleaned within an inch of their lives every time they were used, and that was a bit of a process. Plus, they were pricey as well I believe.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I must be the old guy I had a Mossberg 500 AHT, traded it for SKB 900XL still have that but have not shot it in years it stays in the gun cabinet. I have two browning recoilless shotguns they are identical I still on ocassion like to take them out and shoot with them purchased after heart surgery and they really do have very little recoil. They are ugly I have admit they make my ljutic look good. I would love to purchase a bill cole trapgun they were built like a tank. I did have friend who had a ljutic space gun and did shoot it but I was not that impressed with it. Got to have varitey in your life or you will go stale.

·
Registered
392 Posts
A new model that I think will have a short history is the Remington Mod. 870 Express Trap. Good quality like all 870’s and butt ugly.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
I bought my ST100 new in 1980. It was $3750 then ($10K now) and if Browning were to make it again it would doubtless be north of $20K. I'm shooting doubles with it in my avatar photo.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I like my older guns. I regularly shoot a Browning Recoilless and a Smith and Wesson 1000. I guess I need to catch up with the times. Another gun in the collection is IAB. Reliable and well-made gun that I enjoy shooting now and then.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
530 Franchi trap gun.Receiver shaped a bit like a super x 1 but with scalloped sides. Had drop in choke tubes held in by two Allen head screws. Shot it great but couldn't keep it running. It had a flat semi circular spring that held the gas piston to the action bars. I went through them at an alarming rate. Gun went out of production and parts got really hard to find. Traded it of with five of the springs with it. Sorry to see I gone. If parts were available I'd still be shooting it. It was a bit over ten pounds and between the weight and being gas operated recoil was nill.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
As with all Beretta products it was really a well made gun.
I could comment on this, but alas I'll pass today. I'm in a hurry!!!

Remember the UGB-25. I still call them the ugly-25!!!

They came out hot. They were cool to look at. Then they stopped making them. Then Beretta stopped supporting the gun. Then you had to give them away. They shot pretty good. But the biggest problem was it was really hard to take them apart for transport. When they first came out. There was no info or u-tubes to watch to do this. It was a nightmare. We had one shooter who took his apart. He had to send it back to Beretta to have it put back together. Then have it shipped back.

I had a buddy who bought on of these guns. He got a lot of attention on the trap fields. I think that is why he bought it. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
Remington 3200,
The original BT99 Plus
Mauser SBT

I have a UGB25. It is not problem free, but it really works well for me on doubles. Soft shooter, but works best with new shells. Reloads will work if loaded stiff, but again, it is a soft shooter.

I have the dubious honor of ending up with a lot of short lived guns. I don’t want it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts