Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this craziness I have been really wanting to do a short barreled shotgun project. I remember seeing Black Aces do their version of a SBS 1100 a couple years back and it looked amazing. That gun is the inspiration for this project. This isn't too hard to do, but in the spirit of full excess and some free time, this gun is getting the works. For the smoothest action possible, all friction parts will be mirror polished and all internal parts will be new or rebuilt. Just bought a mint condition 1100 with a vented rib barrel that is the perfect candidate. It'll be here by the end of the week, and then the paperwork gets submitted.

NOTE: A SHORT BARRELED SHOTGUN IS AN NFA REGISTERED ITEM AND THE PROPER PAPERWORK MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE ATF BEFORE CUTTING THE BARREL.

And another note, this is obviously not a trap gun or a gun where I give a damn how well it patterns at 35 yards. So yeah, I'm sure it patterns poorly, but totally not the point.

Any thoughts on the gas port size for the length of barrel? I'm assuming the short barrel will decrease the gas entering the ports and they may have to be enlarged, not sure though. I'll be shooting it and can easily adjust the gas port sizes if need be.

Below are all the images that inspired me to start this project, and I'll start posting up my work on the gun.

1_1.jpg
3bfd4063e2d28f7f23cfe41e3100e7ff.jpg
44bd0b002e61a706f8b6c197832b1d61.jpg
a6f1e25ff28232dffda45f8870f6a93d.jpg
AR_Vt1-e1566935104727.jpg
file.jpg
i-8pcSf3X-XL.jpg
Remington-V3-TAC-13-770.jpg
rndz18-rem-tac13-pump.jpg

·
Registered
31,777 Posts
Isn’t the Remington V3 a shotgun pistol? Shotgun pistols as produced from the manufacturer are not short barreled shotguns and need no stamp.

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
Isn’t the Remington V3 a shotgun pistol? Shotgun pistols as produced from the manufacturer are not short barreled shotguns and need no stamp.
No it's not. The Tac 14 is an "other". It does not need a stamp as-issued, but would absolutely need a stamp if you put a buttstock on it.

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
Well if I were to buy a shot pistol, I would not want to attach a stock to it. If I wanted a defense shotgun, seems to me a 16-1/2 barrel with a stock would be desirable and avoid the “other” stamp. If I remember the minimum overall length of a shotgun is 24 inches with a minimum length legal barrel.
There is no "other" stamp.

The Tac 14 transfers as "other" on the 4473. You do not need a stamp for a Tac 14. You would need a stamp if you buy a Tac 14 and subsequently put a stock on it.

A 16.5" barrel on a shotgun would get you prison time unless the gun has a tax stamp. 18" is minimum legal length for a shotgun barrel.

There are advantages to short barrel shotguns in certain situations. Less so than there would be for short barrel rifles though.

·
Registered
31,777 Posts
Okay, I was in error, the short legal barrel is 18 inches, and 26 min. OL. Most defense guns come in 1/2 inch more than barrel length minimum, or 18-1/2 inches. I forgot what the lengths were. But I still think an overall length of 26 inches is doable. Wish the OP luck.

Now, let’s not hijack this thread anymore than we already have.

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
The Shockwave shaves about 2" off of a pistol gripped 500 w/ 18.5" barrel (28.125" vs 26.37")

A SBS with a stock would shave off about 4-5" off of a stocked 500 w/ 18.5" barrel

A 500 w/ stock and 18.5" barrel is 39.5"

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
The TAC 13 is getting most of what you want the easy way. There is a technique to shoot I may have helped develop years ago for pistol gripped shotguns. I say may have simply because other savvy firearms trainers likely figured this out.

If right handed, stand nearly 90 degrees to the right of threat. Hold firearm across and slightly above the belt line, pointing at the threat. Recoil will be absorbed by both arms.

This works at very close range, 5 yards and in. Folks in the know realize that most shootings are within 5 feet. This is a very intuitive way to shoot such a firearm without recoil making the gun strike a body part.

Such a firearm is a near instantaneous fight stopper. I prefer the Mossberg ShockWave simply because an adapter can be purchased making the gun suitable for the Mini Shell. The gun will hold NINE Mini Shells.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The easy way would definitely be to start with a V3, but I really want a short 1100 and I'm fine putting some work in on this. Tuning and resizing the gas ports if need be isn't too big of a deal.

And feel free to thread hijack, I'm learning from the discussion.

Barrel length I will be using is 11.75" with an overall length of 33" and a full 14.5" LOP.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Nothing is quite as simple and reliable as the 870. Yes, a short 1100 is pretty sexy, but it strikes me more as a 'project' than a solution (and hey, there's nothing wrong with projects - we all love them).

18" barrel, overall length 38", 7 full-size rounds, no taxes or stamps. Heavy enough to manage recoil easily. It would be easy to do the same thing with an 1100.

·
Registered
31,777 Posts
I have a Model 12 field I have been thinking about taking a hacksaw to, would that be an unforgivable sin, or would I be forgiven?

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
It takes about 18" to burn all the propellant into gas in a 12 gauge shotgun. You will likely need to experiment with the 1100 to get reliable function. Doubt you will be shooting many rounds with it anyway, but the extra gas bleed will be hard on the system.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
31,777 Posts
It takes about 18" to burn all the propellant into gas in a 12 gauge shotgun. You will likely need to experiment with the 1100 to get reliable function. Doubt you will be shooting many rounds with it anyway, but the extra gas bleed will be hard on the system.

Scott Hanes
It looks cool though.

Reactions: Big Az Al

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Scott Hanes
Good info, thanks! I can tig weld, so if I need to reduce the diameter of the holes that shouldn't be too hard.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts