Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on a gun that shoots to the left.
I have a combo that shoots to the left approximately 1-2 inches.
I have patterned it many times and have confirmed in several methods.
Fortunately its a combo so I started using the over/under barrels for everything.
I got a choke stuck and had the factory rep remove it during the Ohio state shoot. I did not shoot the unsingle until several weeks later and just attributed my decline in score to losing weight and being rusty. After patterning the barrel against the over/under I identified it was shooting about 1-2 inches to the left (center of the pattern) prior to removing the choke.

Was just wondering if there are any alternatives to throwing the barrel away?

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Get another choke tube for the barrel and see where that shoots. It might be that just the choke tube is bad. HMB

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes
I considered that and went through a series of pattern shots with different chokes at different yardages, unfortunately is the same for all
I have not figured out if its the rib or the barrel
My father is a cut your losses and move on type of guy but a new barrel is about 2K and I like to shoot the unsingle with the Hi Rib

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
#1 Are you right or left handed?

#2 Have you gained or lost any weight?

#3 Have you tried moving the comb?

Ed Yanchok

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Consult Tom Wilkinson 919-603-0167.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Send it to Briley and have them check it out, they can make concentric chokes that will align the pattern if it is in fact shooting off center in any direction.

Surfer

·
Registered
25 Posts
Completely up to you but I would suggest having someone else pattern the gun as well to see if it patterns to the left of not for them. I was going to buy an MX15 but it was shooting to the left for me, so I had someone else shoot it and it shot center for him. If that happens to you then it could just be minor adjustments.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,971 Posts
Are you checking it from a bench rest????? If not, you need to. A right handed shooter will usually pull left, a lefty will pull right. This is because you're not using the same amount of cheek pressure when you are aiming at a patterning board vs. bearing down on a clay target.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Had the same problem. If you have a adjustable comb, try moving it towards you about 1/16". If not, try adding a thin comb pad. Even a towel laid over the comb might do as a experiment.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Remember FORS - front opposite, rear same so when you stick the bbl in the fork of a tree you want to bend it slightly to the right. Then if it shoots too far right, bend it back the other way - trial and error but you'll eventually get it shooting where you're looking,

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
This young fellow is clearly headed for all-American status if he can discern a pattern that is 1"-2" (I am surprised he did not say 1 5/8") left at 40 yards. If this minor and I mean minor left of center bothers you, then at least move the comb approx. 3/64 to 1/16 " to the right and not to the left as one of the numbnuts above directed you! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
This young fellow is clearly headed for all-American status if he can discern a pattern that is 1"-2" (I am surprised he did not say 1 5/8") left at 40 yards. If this minor and I mean minor left of center bothers you, then at least move the comb approx. 3/64 to 1/16 " to the right and not to the left as one of the numbnuts above directed you! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Take it to a bench rest at 13 yards, put a cross on the target. Shoot the center of the cross and aim it like a rifle.

Ajax

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I have to say Tom I agree that few people are that precise at 40 yds. to make a difference.

But the concentric choke tube from Briley will resolve problem if truly one exists. I wonder if something happened to the threads when the stuck tube was removed? Possibly even the barrel if to much heat was involved.

Now since you stated its an unsingle are you sure that your not canting it? You shouldn't be if its a solid stationary rest but have to ask.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I see we got another numbnuts! Move the damn comb to the right if you want to move the pattern to the right! Tom Rhoads

1 - 16 of 16 Posts