Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Can the trap be set on "Wobble" for shootoffs?

2. Can competitors shoot 1 1/8 1350 fps shells in a shoot off?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
FWIW, I've seen doubles shootoffs shot from the 27. Couple of AA shooters were tied, getting dark and no lights on the trap field.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I think all the competitors in the shoot off have to agree to the changes. The gun club may have ammo maximums for their grounds.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
1. Can the trap be set on "Wobble" for shootoffs?

2. Can competitors shoot 1 1/8 1350 fps shells in a shoot off?
I believe so on #1 as long as all shoot off participants agree. I have witnessed shoot offs where the trap was sped up greatly and shooters shot from further back to add challenge.

#2 I am not sure.

·
Super Moderator
3,285 Posts
I assume you are talking ATA shootoff, I would say #1 fine, #2 ATA legal shells only.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
If shooters agree, you could settle a shoot-off with a game of marbles! OR, as Dan Orlick and Geo. Snellenberger did, refuse to shoot any more??

HAP
Hap, that's true. I've personally flipped coins several times and even split the prize once.

·
Registered
32,599 Posts
If shoot targets count as registered targets, I would not think they could be set out of ATA parameters. If they don't count, then I would agree anything goes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Back when I was just beginning in trapshooting, I was at a shoot on New Years Day of 1998 and tied for "D" class singles with another gentleman. Being in Michigan, neither of us felt like freezing our butts off to shoot off so we flipped a coin. I ended up winning "D" class singles that day with a coin toss. I believe shoot off's can be settled in a multitude of ways as long as all competitors agree.

Derek

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
The club can crank up targets etc without shooter approval. I have shot cranked up 4 hole targets not my idea but it is all good.

I should add that was years ago before they tuned up the shootoff rules.
Now everything is a carryover.

All good

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
LOL, I arm wrestled for a wine jug, not wanting to waste a whole box of shells on it to win or lose!

Another time, got my azz handed to me right proper by an All-American after we'd each remained tied in the singles with 100 straight in the shoot-off. I was on the 23 at the time and my worthy opponent was a dandy 27 yard shooter. I was asked if I'd settle it shooting from the 27? I said I'd stand about the same chance from the sidewalk! Everyone though that was a terrific idea except me but I didn't object as I was down to my last box of 1 ounce 8s which I shot from the sidewalk. I only wished I'd had a box of super handicap 7-1/2s to play with but he won fair and square, 16 to my measly 13! It was fun though as we win some and lose some! For what it's worth, we shot from 36 to 39 yards from the sidewalk straight back inline with the walkways!

HAP

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
H. SHOOT-OFFS
Shoot-offs shall be considered and interpreted the same as registered
events and all applicable ATA Rules shall apply unless mutually agreed
upon by all contestants. The management of a tournament may rule
that ties shall be carried over to the first (or more if needed) sub-event
of the next like event. However, when there are ties in a Handicap event
and any tying shooter earns yardage and consequently will be shooting
farther back in the subsequent Handicap event, all tying shooters must
agree to the carry over.

To answer the original poster
Based on the above rule I would say you could shoot whatever targets or shells the shooters could agree on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We had a club invitational a few weeks back and we tied the first place team after our last round of the day. The club holding the shoot decided that the shoot off would be handled with a 23 yard handicap, 10 shells per shooter. This wasn't an ATA shoot or anything like that simply a invitational put on by a local club that invites the top 7-8 shooters from clubs in the area. Well this seems just dandy for people that shoot handicap but for a team/club that only shoots 16's talk about a let down. We lost in the shoot off and as defending champions we will have to pass the trophy off to the new winners.

I dropped 1 bird that day which led to the tie, I've never been more disappointed in my shooting career thus far. It's not like my teammates all hit perfect, because they did not, but knowing the fact if I had hit that bird we would still be champions makes me upset.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We had a club invitational a few weeks back and we tied the first place team after our last round of the day. The club holding the shoot decided that the shoot off would be handled with a 23 yard handicap, 10 shells per shooter. This wasn't an ATA shoot or anything like that simply a invitational put on by a local club that invites the top 7-8 shooters from clubs in the area. Well this seems just dandy for people that shoot handicap but for a team/club that only shoots 16's talk about a let down. We lost in the shoot off and as defending champions we will have to pass the trophy off to the new winners.

I dropped 1 bird that day which led to the tie, I've never been more disappointed in my shooting career thus far. It's not like my teammates all hit perfect, because they did not, but knowing the fact if I had hit that bird we would still be champions makes me upset.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
OK What would you do with this??? This happened with my college boys and cracked me up!! You might remember this one if you have never seen it before. Here's what happened: Two boys tie (VERY INFORMAL SHOOT--bragging rights and among friends). They want to flip a coin--I am asked to do the flip. I take a quarter from my pocket and tell shooter "A"to call it in the air. I flipped the coin and immediately he said "It's a quarter"!!! What would you have done after you stopped laughing?? I do so love my youth shooters--never a dull moment!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts