Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Beretta 682 Trap shot gun took it out that weekend shot around 40 out of 50 a pretty big improvement my all time best. Then couple week s later and still to this day I am unable to shoot more than 20 out of 50. Does any one have any problem solving techniques I can use to find out what I am doing wrong or any tips.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
You say you recently bought it? First thing I would do is shoot it on a pattern board to find out where it shoots i.e. high, low, left, right & etc.
Then either adjust the gun (if possible), adjust yourself to shoot it or get rid of it. JMO. Colonel

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
How long have you been shooting trap and what were you shooting before the 682? As the colonel mentioned, check point of impact at 13 yds. Does your gun have an adjustable comb?

Steve

·
Registered
917 Posts
Listen to the guys above. To shoot a shotgun without first shooting it on paper is often done by lots of guys but it's pure insanity in my opinion. When you walk up on the line you want to know exactly where it's hitting. You need to take the guesswork out of your shooting.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Have someone watch you to see if you are doing something wrong in your technique.
You can sight in gun on the line. Move your hold point on the bird until you find where you need to hold in order to break birds. You can then raise or lower POI of gun to where you are comfortable in your site picture.

Good luck, have patience, have fun.

Don

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long have you been shooting trap and what were you shooting before the 682? As the colonel mentioned, check point of impact at 13 yds. Does your gun have an adjustable comb?

Steve
I have been shooting for the past 4 or 5 months but not on a regular basis. Before my beretta I shot a Remington 870. My Beretta does not have an adjustable comb.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I am right handed but left eye dominate.

There is your problem right there..... You can learn a lot of good information on your problem by ordering the Phil Kiner DVD. He goes in to great detail how to deal with eye dominance and how to work with it. If you are very strong left eye dominate and have only been shooting 4-5 months, you may seriously consider learning to shoot left handed.... Just my take on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is your problem right there..... You can learn a lot of good information on your problem by ordering the Phil Kiner DVD. He goes in to great detail how to deal with eye dominance and how to work with it. If you are very strong left eye dominate and have only been shooting 4-5 months, you may seriously consider learning to shoot left handed.... Just my take on it.
I been shooting trap for 4 to 5 months but been shooting everything else for a couple of years. Wouldn't that affect my other shooting?

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
If I was a young whippersnapper and truly left eye dominate, I'd learn to shoot left handed. If you are unable to do this, then close left eye, lower hold point or use magic dot on glasses.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
First thing I would do is shoot it on a pattern board to find out where it shoots i.e. high, low, left, right & etc.
Then either adjust the gun (if possible), adjust yourself to shoot it or get rid of it. JMO. Colonel
The patterning board is the place to START, otherwise you are wasting your time!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Vision is a big deal in sports where the target moves. There's a book called "An Insight to Sports Featuring Trapshooting and Golf" by Dr. Wayne F. Martin, O.D., it's worth finding if you have any questions at all. Wrong eye dominance is something that must be dealt with. Sometimes, your dominant eye will take over part way through your swing, sometimes it takes over right away. Stress, lighting, etc. all play a role in how you are seeing on any particular day.

One of the teams I coach has a girl who I tested for eye dominance and she tested right. I watched her shoot and she was to the left of every target. I finally asked her to "aim" her shotgun at a tree that was in the distance, she lined up yards to the left of the tree. I covered her left eye and her gun moved to dead on. She had no idea her left eye was taking over. I really encourage you to try blocking your left eye by closing it, put tape on your glasses or whatever works for you and see if it helps. Not having binocular vision is a handicap in the shotgun sports but it's not the end of the world and there are solutions that allow binocular vision until you approach the target (the Magic Dot already mentioned is one).

Best of luck,

-Scot

·
Banned
958 Posts
Not having binocular vision is a handicap in the shotgun sports but it's not the end of the world and there are solutions that allow binocular vision until you approach the target (the Magic Dot already mentioned is one).
Texas story:

".... I missed my 4H Team practice. My new shooter who had bought and installed an XD, and who was crushing targets with did not have on his gun yesterday. He shot like crap too, 12/25. When I asked him why he took it off, he said Mr. Woody (one of the other coaches) told him too....said he did not need "that crap" on his gun.

I put it back on. He shot 23/25. We went over to talk to Mr. Woody, who said he just could not see the hard left trap targets and he only shot 9/25 in trap. Short story...that was the first round of trap he EVER SHOT....and he shot it with a squad of our 4-5 year experienced shooters and NO COACHING. So, we shot a round of trap and did some coaching...he shot 17/25. Second round, after he figured out the barrel is never very far away from a trap target, he shot 21/25. We all agree the XD stays on the gun from now on....skeet, trap, sporting clays, or 5 stand!"

Mike

The only device that blocks the barrel and preserve full binocular vision during the entire shooting action is the XD Sol. The shooter can shoot from his handedness side without any problem.

Bill

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Texas story:

".... I missed my 4H Team practice. My new shooter who had bought and installed an XD, and who was crushing targets with did not have on his gun yesterday. He shot like crap too, 12/25. When I asked him why he took it off, he said Mr. Woody (one of the other coaches) told him too....said he did not need "that crap" on his gun.

I put it back on. He shot 23/25. We went over to talk to Mr. Woody, who said he just could not see the hard left trap targets and he only shot 9/25 in trap. Short story...that was the first round of trap he EVER SHOT....and he shot it with a squad of our 4-5 year experienced shooters and NO COACHING. So, we shot a round of trap and did some coaching...he shot 17/25. Second round, after he figured out the barrel is never very far away from a trap target, he shot 21/25. We all agree the XD stays on the gun from now on....skeet, trap, sporting clays, or 5 stand!"

Mike

The only device that blocks the barrel and preserve full binocular vision during the entire shooting action is the XD Sol. The shooter can shoot from his handedness side without any problem.

Bill
What is XD Sol?

·
Banned
958 Posts

It is a device that is attached to the trigger guard having a screen placed between the eyes with the role of blocking the barrel from the dominate eye(in case of cross dominance) but allowing the dominate eye to see the target in the same time. As a result the shooter, having cross dominance, can shoot from his handedness side with full binocular vision. The XD Sol. eliminates the double barrel vision also.
As you may notice the eyes are free of any obstruction. The eyes get full light and are rested during the entire shooting action.

If you google ;XD Solution; you will find more info

Bill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts