Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
If you are like me your left and right eyes do not work together. The only way I can get my left eye to work is to close the right eye, which is not a particularly good idea when you are shooting right handed. Bill Malcolm

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Solution. Eyes are like all muscles ... You need to excercise and train them. Get Terry Jordan's Wall Chart and use the hell out of it ... Whether you're one eyed, two eyed, cross dominant ... Pt makes no difference.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
I am a one-eyed shooter and if I take my eye off the target I will see the bead, if I keep my eye on the target I don't see the bead!!

Reactions: spitter

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
The article by Michael Yardley shown above provides some info about eye dominance in that it is not a black or white, yes or no thing but is shades of gray in between. I have a tendency to crossfire sometimes and I am absolutely sure that with my left eye lens patched with tape the barrel and rib will appear solid and I get a definite sight picture of the bird and the bead. With both eyes open and no patch the barrel and rib is semi-transparent and my sight picture is compromised sometimes sharp and sometimes vague and indefinite. So far I am slightly better off with both eyes open but I carry a left lens that is patched with tape in my shooting bag just in case.

·
Banned
958 Posts
" And shooting with both eyes open= don't see lead.

Eye test reveal right eye dominant

What could be the reason... "

Shutting down one eye you just cut in half of your binocular vision to monocular vision and with that you lost half of your peripheral perception.
You narrowed your visual screen forcing you to look closer to your barrel
If you have a normal eye dominance you should see lead both eyes open.
It could be, visual or technical.( some technical mistake like head lifting)

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Mike thinks exactly like a 1-eyed shooter must think in order to be successful. It took me a long time, and a couple chats with Nora, to let go of all the myths about binocular vision and how supposedly important it is for trap. Thank goodness I did because my scores went up and I got my first 50, 75 and 100-straight using my "inferior" monocular vision. Also, I no longer have those occasional 12x25 rounds after which someone who was standing behind me informs me I was shooting 10 feet behind the target (crossfire from hell, but didn't even realize it).

-Gary

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Exactly Mike. In this game of trap a lot of the supposed perils_of_wisdom should be questioned! But alas, most just don't stand back and not believe but rather adhere and embrace the guidance bestowed upon them.

·
Banned
958 Posts
Shooting with both eyes gives you full light ,comfort and in a long run rested eyes.
In a big tournament that's crucial!

One eyed shooting is like one leg running!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
When you play baseball, do you look at the bat or the ball? With 1 eye or 2?

When you play golf, do you look at the club head or the ball? With 1 eye or 2?

When you play tennis, do you look at the racket or the ball? With 1 eye or 2?

When you merge onto the freeway, do you look at the hood of your car or where you want to go ? 1 eye or 2?

Are you starting to see a pattern here?

Look at your target and your brain will do the rest. Yes, I know, it’s not for everybody, but give it a try for a few months.

Now onto something else. After you hit the ball with the (bat, club, racket) do you stop dead in your tracks, or do you follow thru?

You follow thru.

Same thing in sporting clays, if you stop the gun, you probably shot behind the target.

Oh, I'm right handed and right eye dominant. Since we all have two eyes and they're next to each other you're going to see two images of the barrel. It's called parallax.

Look at the bird, not the barrel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is real easy for someone that has strong dominance in one eye like I had when I was younger, but when you are looking down the rib and then you see the left side of the rib and barrel and then back down the rib, you just can’t tell yourself to only use the eye that is looking down the rib. Then you get a hard left and your left eye picks it up, and the puller yells lost. You then have to do something so your left eye can’t see anything . I would love to shoot two eyed like I have for 62 years but I don’t want to quit shooting so I will learn to shoot with one eye.

·
5,223 Posts
I experienced issues early on with my shooting... my eye dominance was right, however the left was strong enough to see two barrels in my peripheral vision... and that caused issues in approaching the targets.

I've shot one-eyed for years... and have learned to compensate for any deficit it might present...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I experienced issues early on with my shooting... my eye dominance was right, however the left was strong enough to see two barrels in my peripheral vision... and that caused issues in approaching the targets.

I've shot one-eyed for years... and have learned to compensate for any deficit it might present...
May be no one understands what my problem is (1) I was a LH shooter(2) I have a Pacemaker / Def. installed in my left shoulder so now I must shoot RH (3) I am blind in my RT eye. (4) I am looking for a Carey side sighter or somethin like it so I can shoot RH and use my LF eye the sight,but I am having any luck finding something to do the job does anyone know where I can find one.

·
5,223 Posts
May be no one understands what my problem is (1) I was a LH shooter(2) I have a Pacemaker / Def. installed in my left shoulder so now I must shoot RH (3) I am blind in my RT eye. (4) I am looking for a Carey side sighter or somethin like it so I can shoot RH and use my LF eye the sight,but I am having any luck finding something to do the job does anyone know where I can find one.
I recall seeing a stock once, bent so dramatically that a right handed shooter could shooter with the left eye...

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
A "Cross-over" stock on a Browning O/U

Reactions: spitter
1 - 20 of 22 Posts