Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Dixie on Sun. , clouds , dark in the morning--thought they were throwing all orange targets, could not see them at all--found out they were NY style targets--bailed after the first 2 boxes, at least I saved 2 boxes of ammo

Congrats to all who did well--teach me to squad early with old eyes.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bill lives real close to Kentucky, I think he has a little Ky. blood mixed in with the Hoosier stuff. Them guys can do wonders on a trap field cause they are about 20 yards closer than where they usually shoot from. Roger

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to be a nit picker I was on bank 4 @ 9:15, would love to know what bank Bill Tempest was on and what time he shot. Just for info of the Southern Grand,

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
I would compare averages before I'd compare time of day and what trap.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey Phil,
I'm pretty sure I watched Bill Tempest shoot Sunday morning on bank 2. It must have been around 10:30( seventh flight out?). I don't usually pay much attention, but he was smoking them from the 27. Hope this helps for the Southern.

Marty Hill

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Marty--that;s the bank I had last year when I placed tenth--IMHO--if you squad at the $$$ on the Golf Side--forget about it. When a club has two distinctly different fields-its not a level playing field.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think before you say there is no level playing field you should know that winning scores came from the golf side as well as the new side. Bailing after two boxes of shells bothers me and probably your squad mates.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly, the squad I was one did not know me from Adam---there was no distinct squad rhythm.

Please tell me who shot well on the golf side before 10:30--really would love to know it.

Phil Berkowitz--I'm not a great/good shooter,but I know when I can't see targets.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys I now know to shoot squads 35 +, It helps with old eyes.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
225 Posts
Phil

Bill missed his first target out from he 27 on Bank 2 for the 99 on Sunday a couple flights in front of me and Zack. As for sight on that bank I had no trouble at all seeing the targets. As a matter of fact the ones I missed seemed to get bigger after I shot! Funny thing is, the same thing happened to me Saturday on bank 4 when Zack broke the 199 from the 2nd post to my right!

On a serious note; I asked Bill later after the shoot was over if he knew why or what caused the miss and, being the gentleman he is, humbly smiled and said with a chuckle "if I knew what caused it I would write a book and get rich"!

Wildcat Lewis

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
The NY targets are easier to see on the golf side where you get the little black rim on the edge when the target breaks from the trees to the sky. Everyone had difficulty shooting at the Dixie Grand this year. Weather in FL can be a real game changer. All American shooters in the 80's in caps and doubles should be an indicator of conditions. Bill's 99 on any field on any day is one heck of an accomplishment. Great job Bill!

Regardless whether or not you know the other shooters on your squad, quitting because the targets are difficult is a breach of etiquette as far as I am concerned.

Bob Schultz

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Phil, I feel the pain! We were the first squad out on the same bank. They were very tuff to see. Our squad was contacted by the shell folks and let us know we were making the peoduct look bad. LOL, We too will opt for later squads in the future. Jake

1 - 20 of 25 Posts