Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started trap this year have extreme hearing lost have learned to separate shells into 5 shot groups in pouch. Can't hear any commands being given or hit or miss count.
Should something be said or not to scorer or range officer on hearing loss.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Perhaps but I think you will find that most of the older shooters are severely hearing impaired. This includes myself. Now would somebody PLEASE answer that gosh dang phone.

·
Registered
32,285 Posts
Here are my thoughts,

Tell fellow shooters on the line, unless you have regulars you shoot with, to help you. Example, after you shoot look to the person helping you. If you miss he can give you a thumbs down, nothing else needed. Watch him/her, when they move you move.

If you shoot with a others on a regular basis, devise some signals between each other like when to unload because of an interruption like a broken trap, resetting the trap, etc. otherwise, just pay close attention.

If the score keeper calls a dead bird loss, it is your team mates who can question the call. Remember the scorekeeper/ref has the final word according to the rules, but will usually concede to the squad.

Your greatest difficulty would be as a squad leader, perhaps.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I too can't hear scores being called out but have found that if I make eye contact when the scores are called it is pretty easy to read lips...but if I'm not sure I ask for them to repeat my score,as far as a lost target I rely on my squad mates if they don't question it then I assume it's "lost"....U do what U can.Jerry

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
http://espamerica.com/product/esp-elite-classic-shooters-hearing-protection-earplugs/

Buy amplifying hearing protection. I have about 80% hearing loss from 57+ years of shooting, and a long term love affair with magnum revolvers. I have had my ESP's for almost 20 years. They are worth every dime on the Sporting Course, and for giving instruction, cannot be beat.

If the price is too steep, buy muffs with amplification.

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
Tell the scorer. Then hold up how many fingers represent your score on each station before moving. A nod would confirm your score.

·
Registered
193 Posts
About putting 5 shot groups into 5 shot groups, you can just put your whole box into the pouch because there's 5 in each row of the box

·
Registered
109 Posts
To stop any further hearing loss I where molded ear plugs and muffs which makes it hard to hear. I just pay attention and check when the person next to me is ready to shoot. Keep the box in your pocket and you'll go by row of 5 shells. Look at the scorekeeper when they are reading the scores.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I need to wear double protection (plugs and muffs) to prevent any additional loss. ProEars and other brands have models that accentuate speech, so they amplify speech and cut off the sound of the shot. But they are expensive.

Plugs alone (of any kind) are not enough to prevent hearing loss for anyone. Shotgun blasts are called impact noise/sound by folks in the hearing protection world. The only way to prevent loss while shooting is plugs and muffs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts