Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think that if you are comfortable wearing contact lenses, using those together with non-prescription shooting glasses is better in that you will have more choices and the shooting glasses will be lighter; making them more comfortable to wear.

However, if you are like me, who wear prescription glasses but don't feel comfortable wearing contact lenses, then you're stuck with using prescription shooting glasses. They can heavy and uncomfortable, or they can be very expensive. I had a pair of Decot, which isn't expensive but due to my bad vision, the lenses are thick and heavy, making it uncomfortable to shoot after half a day of shooting. I paid for a pair of Pilla Sport Panther X6 post, this is very expensive but is lightweight and comfortable to wear all day long, plus the clarity and color is much nicer too. The downside is the high cost.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I love my contacts, but I wear them all the time. The only downside with shooting is that they can sometimes dry out a bit in windy conditions, which can be a struggle.

If you're not used to wearing them, though, you will probably hate using contacts (at least at first). I think most people see very differently when using contacts vs. prescription glasses, and it takes some time to get used to the change. I know that my glasses make everything appear smaller -- just a tiny bit, but enough to throw off my depth perception at times. I don't usually notice it too much, but have had instances where my brain just didn't adapt quickly enough. I had one incident at a "fancy" hotel that had a set of stairs made out of glass going from a ballroom to the lobby -- with contacts no problem, with glasses I absolutely couldn't tell where the next step was! Same prescription.

If you're used to wearing glasses, give yourself some time in contacts to get used to them before trying to shoot with them in your eyes. If you're used to contacts, i think it's a no-brainer to use them with plano lenses in your shooting glasses.

--Dan

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am 70 years old and just got contacts 6 months ago. I use them only for Trap Shooting, and will
use them for skiing this winter. The best thing I ever did bar none. You don't know they are in your eyes, peripheral
vision is fantastic, shooting glasses are a lot lighter, and when prescription needs changing, the shooting
glasses stay the same. I have a severe astigmatism, and the fit is fantastic. Go to your eye doctor, and they should
give you a free pair to try.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I agree with everything rossi690 said. I have worn them almost every day for the last 15+ years and wouldn't go back to glasses full time (I still wear them occasionally) for anything. I do however want to get laser vision correction surgery.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Have worn contacts for 35 years. Always hated running in the rain and snow with glasses that fogged and smeared up. I'm almost 77 and about 15 years ago I started wearing one contact only (mono vision) in my right eye as a distance prescription. My left eye works fine for up close and reading and after a while your brain "puts it together" and you can see well at all distances. This has kept me from bi-focal or tri-focal lenses. Every now and then I will shoot Sporting with my glasses with two distance prescriptions but can't see the scorecard and my scores are no better. I have dry eyes so they water a lot all year round but they are no worse with contacts.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I have a very mild distance prescription for my glasses that was just recently increased from +1.50 to +1.75. Several years ago, I decided to try contact lenses and was looking forward to shooting trap with them and plano lenses in my Decots. But I had trouble walking with them in - everything looked smaller - and when I rode my motorcycle, I felt like it had been lowered. The first time I tried shooting, the targets looked like tiny orange specs leaving the trap house and seemed to fly straight outward without climbing. Five lost targets later, I took out the contacts, put the Rx lenses back in my Decots and everything returned to normal. The eye doctor had me try different brands of lenses but there was no difference and he was unable to suggest a remedy so I never wore my contacts again.

I guess some people's eyes just aren't suited to contacts. That doesn't make sense but it's the best reason I can come up with.

Ed

·
Registered
746 Posts
Been wearing them for over fifty years. With contacts you don't have edge effects and things appear their actual size. Every OD I have talked to has said that barring extreme astigmatism, well fitted hard lenses will give you the best all around vision, better than glasses. Incidentally, it has been my experience that the best service comes from opticians.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts