Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title suggests, I'm curious how others handle shooting while looking right into the sun?
The club I shoot at has a great wooded background...when the trees are full of leaves. However, right now it's just starting to bloom and in the evening when the club is open I'm losing the target in the sun and glare off the barrel. So much so I often can't tell if I hit or miss. I have smoke lenses in my glasses and my hat pulled down so low I have a very narrow field of view. I see the target out of the house but as it rises, I lose sight of the target.

I am thinking about trying some cloth electrical tape on the rib/barrel to cut down the glare. Does anyone have a better suggestion?

· Premium Member
624 Posts
I have gotten so desperate that I sometimes wear 2 pair of tinted lenses. The CMT and a orange tint over that. I can just barley see the gun barrel but the target is pretty clear. Lots of times the target disappears into the sky and I have to wait until it comes back down to even see if I broke it. My plan often is to make a good move and shoot even if I loose sight of the target.

· Registered
153 Posts
That is why I'm glad our club's traps face north. Never an issue. Two different clubs in our winter leagues point due south and they're murder on a sunny day. We have all learned to just wait till late in the day to sign up to compensate for it. If I'm forced to shoot into the sun I hold down on the house and try to shoot a little faster. No lenses I've tried make much of a difference.

· Registered
2,251 Posts
So as the title suggests, I'm curious how others handle shooting while looking right into the sun?
The club I shoot at has a great wooded background...when the trees are full of leaves. However, right now it's just starting to bloom and in the evening when the club is open I'm losing the target in the sun and glare off the barrel. So much so I often can't tell if I hit or miss. I have smoke lenses in my glasses and my hat pulled down so low I have a very narrow field of view. I see the target out of the house but as it rises, I lose sight of the target.

I am thinking about trying some cloth electrical tape on the rib/barrel to cut down the glare. Does anyone have a better suggestion?
I painted the top of the receiver and the barrel with flat black engine paint. Reduced the glare a lot. Can be easily removed with whatever removes paint.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Vertical polarized glasses work better. Those are horizontal. Reflected sunlight isn’t slowed down by those. They only give the wearer a way to block direct sun and reduce some of the light getting through.

· Banned
1,793 Posts
I shoot at 20 local clubs and don't have to look into the sun to the extent that a normal hat brim won't work. When I shot handgun silhouette a long-billed fisherman's cap was useful. I do shoot at one or two clubs where sun glare off my rib and receiver is occasionally a real problem. Birchwood Casey Sight Black, another hold-over from long range handgun days, works wonders for that.

It's an aerosol spray of carbon-black that's very messy to use, partly because it's also very easy to remove. But it's effective enough that I keep it in the truck and tolerate it a couple times a year.

· Registered
2,637 Posts
I had to use FLAT black paint that my wife uses for her crafts on the top of the receiver of my BT-100 Stainless to stop the glare from the sun directly in our face at a club here in Florida.

Nice club except for those south facing fields.

Cannot shoot anymore, so I just took a cloth and wiped the receiver clean, no chemicals to remove the paint, wiped right off.

· Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shoot earlier or later
Our Skeet fields have the same problem
I would if that was an option. As I understand it, the club has some sort of agreement with the city that prevents us from shooting before 5:30 in the evening. I believe it has something to do with the housing development around the club.
The trap house faces west so until the sun gets behind the trees it can be brutal

· Registered
8,715 Posts
Polarized lens is the best solution for filter out glares from the sun.

I have 3M Crystalline film on all my car's windshield filter out glares from coming traffic headlights, I can actually see better at night for the same reason.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.