Trapshooters Forum banner

Shooting while on oxygen

2240 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Perazzi_MX8
I do not believe this has been discussed here.
Tonight when I finished my leauge round I was asked to score for another squad which I gladly obliged. One of the gentleman shooting was on the 1st leauge squad I was on in 1984 when I was 15 years old, he was a clay breaking machine back in the day. Anyway he has had some health problems and now is on oxygen pretty much all the time except when he shoots. He said he cannot mount his gun without the lines smashing into his face. So 1st 3 posts he obliterated all 15 birds, dropped a couple on post 4 and dropped 3 on post 5 I could see he was struggling to catch his breath and getting weaker as the round went on. So my question is does anyone know of an alternative way for him to get oxygen while he is Shooting and still being able to to mount his gun without the lines interfering? He lost his wife last year and is alone and loves coming to the club and shooting with the boys and was So helpful to me so many years ago and I just wanted to try and help him shoot more comfortable and break more birds.
Reactions: grizquad
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Just getting by.....
2,032 Posts
I used to shoot with a gentleman who used a oxygen generator slung over his shoulder with the line under his nose, no mask.

Sadly he is no longer with us, but I believe he hooked the lines over his ears and that kept them off of his cheek.

RIP Martin Burklow

· Registered
583 Posts
I used to shoot with a gentleman who used a oxygen generator slung over his shoulder with the line under his nose, no mask.

Sadly he is no longer with us, but I believe he hooked the lines over his ears and that kept them off of his cheek.

RIP Martin Burklow
Could the squad slow down enough to let him oxygenate after a couple stations? Doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I do not believe this has been discussed here.
Tonight when I finished my leauge round I was asked to score for another squad which I gladly obliged. One of the gentleman shooting was on the 1st leauge squad I was on in 1984 when I was 15 years old, he was a clay breaking machine back in the day. Anyway he has had some health problems and now is on oxygen pretty much all the time except when he shoots. He said he cannot mount his gun without the lines smashing into his face. So 1st 3 posts he obliterated all 15 birds, dropped a couple on post 4 and dropped 3 on post 5 I could see he was struggling to catch his breath and getting weaker as the round went on. So my question is does anyone know of an alternative way for him to get oxygen while he is Shooting and still being able to to mount his gun without the lines interfering? He lost his wife last year and is alone and loves coming to the club and shooting with the boys and was So helpful to me so many years ago and I just wanted to try and help him shoot more comfortable and break more birds.
Have him remove the cannula only when it’s his turn to shoot. Or hold the cannula outlets in his mouth while he shoots. Lack of oxygen damages organs. Not just the brain but all internal organs.

· Registered
2,992 Posts
anyone know of an alternative way for him to get oxygen
Unless human anatomy is different in your neck of the woods, you already know the answer to this. Exception: stoma, ie: neck breathers.

This is the PROPER placement of a nasal cannula (nc). For shooting purposes, instead of going around the ears, go over the ears and use the cinch to snug it up behind the head. That will make the the tubing that rests on the cheeks ride higher on the face and hopefully away from the gun stock.

DO NOT adjust the O2 (in liters per minute) flow unless you are trained and ready/capable of dealing with the ramifications.

· Registered
2,992 Posts
I’ve not encountered that device in the field, but for $20, give it a whirl. Check to see if it comes in right hand and left hand versions. Love the idea!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.