Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who wears a shooting vest, & who doesn't? Are there pros & cons to using one on the trap line? Is it anymore beneficial than using just a shell pouch or similar carrier?
Thanks
-ithaca

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I have 2 vests, a mesh, and a regular. Plus I have 2 pouches with belts, And a 3rb pouch with a large mesh hull bag.

Guess it just depends,, Never gave it thought to what is better that the other.

The mesh is great in hot weather as is the pouch set ups...

DGH

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Tried a vest and kept bunching up when I mounted my gun, don't wear anymore. Have a pouch that holds a box and a mesh bag that holds my empties. Have an extra clip on that holds another box for doubles. Like others said, what feels good to YOU
Steve

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
I prefer wearing a vest. Tried going with just a t-shirt but never liked it.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I find I get a more consistent gun mount with a vest.
I also like to stuff my pockets with junk.
I have multiple pouches and belts, I always wear one.

My gooey pad leaves black marks on my vest.
I don't want those on my shirts.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Vests put the weight of your shells, etc. comfortably on your shoulders. Putting a pouch or shell holder on your belt will pull your pants down.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I like a Browning vest with the Reactar pad for doubles. O/U with wood stock.

Pouch with T-Shirt shooting a PFS for Singles and Handicap.

Jason

·
Registered
279 Posts
I like a pouch. Maybe I just haven't found one that fits me well (I'm fat), but they all seem to be loose and bunch up or are tight and constrict movement. Also, they all seem to be too hot in the summer. I prefer to wear a pouch and t-shirt.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I prefer a pouch, it helps to keep me balanced. However the last couple of years, I have been having trouble with the weight slowly pulling my pants down . My Drugist is some what of a comedian, I accused him of slipping some
No ass at all pills in my RX refills. He naturally denied it, think I will change drug store , that should correct the problem.

·
Registered
229 Posts
A Tex Hollis shell pouch on a belt and a clip on mesh bag for empties. All the vests I own have bunched up in the pocket causing a dismount. On a real hot day the mesh vest is still uncomfortable for me.
Winter time is a John Storm jacket with a thinner recoil pad.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I have several vests that I prefer. But like others, on a really hot day I will go with a box holder and mesh bag. I just can't shoot doubles in a t-shirt so I always wear my vest in that event. Luckily the doubles event is shorter than singles or handicap so even on a hot day the vest is tolerable.

PS- If your box holder pulls down your pants, try running a second belt for just the shells and bag.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I use a half vest with the separate shell pouches and mesh hull pouch in back. But, I got rid of the cheap nylon belt that came with it and put the pouches on the outer belt of a CR Speed competition belt (for USPSA/IPSC) competition. The belt has a super stiff outer belt that velcroes to a thinner inner belt that you run through your regular belt loops. This keeps the pockets from bunching up, distributes the weight a little better, and I can take the outer belt on and off in a hurry, which is sometimes convenient.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Mesh vest, and shell box holder. I do best when I do not think about the last post or the last shot, I only think about the shot I am calling for. I use the right pocket on the vest for empties from hits, and the left for empties from misses. I really like to leave the left pocket empty. The shell box carrier always keeps track of the post move even if I do not hear the score keeper.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
It totally depends on the individual shooter. I wore a t-shirt, along with a pouch and a single box holder for many years. Shot doubles with 2 single box holders and a pouch, and just didn't care for the way it made me feel. I felt awkward and off balance most of the time. Went to a vest and a light weight empties pouch, about 10 years ago and have never looked back. I wear one all the time I'm shooting unless it's cold, and then I wear my Storm Jacket. I prefer the feel of the weight of the shells being distributed on both sides of my body. One of the many pluses of wearing a vest is the pad area. It helps me to make the perfect mount every time, and the Kick-eez pad will not slide on the leather of the pad once you're mounted. If the vest you choose fits right, the pad will not bunch up when mounting the gun. A vest is also designed to be "form fitting", not loose or sagging. When you zip up your vest, it should feel snug. Not tight, just snug. This allows you to move freely, as a unit, to the left or right, without the pockets etc. swinging back and forth. If, however, your vest fits too loosely, or not quite right, a shooting shirt and pouch may be what you want.... My two favorites are the older Bob Allen style with full length leather pad, and a CJ Enterprises vest with leather pad, both of which are mesh. I also have a new mesh vest I'm currently trying out by Wild Hare called the "Classy Clays" vest, and it appears to be working well and also has a leather pad. I stay away from a vest with a cloth pad.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts