Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm heading to Sparta with a Buddy. Yep were both from that state that has the small number of nay sayers. Ohio. This will be my first time for the Grand. I'm really looking forward to it. I also know I'm going to be shooting penalty yardage from the 25. My question is, does anyone have any advice for shooting in the rain. The weather channel is showing 80-90% chance of rain on Friday and Saturday. With some big floaters right now in my dominant eye and trying to keep my glasses dry. Just looking for any pointers. Thanks in advance.
The Gunny

PS. Glad to be back out of the banned cave.......

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
There are a number of threads listed at the bottom of the page that discuss shooting in the rain in depth. I would start there, and read those. I'm sure some will chime in, with suggestions. You need a hat with a large brim, and a towel. :)

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
Being from the midwest all my life, and knowing kinda what the weather does most of the time...showers are ALWAYS possible this time of year. High humidity, high heat make for very unstable weather. Pop up showers happen often, but typically don't last long. I am also headed back to Sparta tonight. I was there last weekend but had to come back to work a couple days. I would be more worried about the excruciating heat and high humidity that will likely be there than the showers. I saw heat indices of 116 and 118 coming in the next couple days. That makes for miserable shooting IMO

As for keeping your glasses dry,I wear a ball cap and that does a pretty good job unless it is blowing really hard.

Dress light and drink lots of water. Good Luck on the shooting.

That said, if it rains all day, forget everything I wrote. Weather men are rarely right and neither am I.

·
Super Moderator
4,959 Posts
Accept that you're going to get wet.

I'm not being funny.

The fact is that no matter what you wear, you're going to get wet.

Get comfortable with that and the rest is easy.

Also, I usually wear gloves when it rains so that the gun doesn't slip in my hands. You might want to consider that.

Your glasses are going to get drops on them. Deal with it.

Accept the rain, rather than fight it, and you'll be way ahead of almost everybody else.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. I'm not worried about getting the gun or myself wet. My main issues right now is fighting the floaters. So hopefully if it does rain I can at least keep my glasses dry. I'll just get a Bigger hat. Head down, see the bird not the floaters. I get it. Thanks

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Listen to V10. I shot the Grand American Handicap several years ago in pouring rain so hard it was running out my rain suit pant legs. Once you're wet, you can't get any more wet. At that point just shoot.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
I have several floaters in my dominat eye, usually once I focus out in front of the house I do not notice them as I shoot at each target.They do return but distance seems to lessen the effect.
I carry a small piece of chamois to help with the water on the stock and a pocketful of paper towels for my glasses.
Good luck with the weather, I hate shooting in the rain but like all others have had to do it from time to time.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
In my experience there's rain with wind & rain without wind.............rain without wind I wear a big wide brimmed rain hat that pretty much keeps rain off my glasses.
Rain with wind, all bets off, listen to those with experience shooting in the rain.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Rain has the same effect as wind on some shooters.

50% of the shooters think they can't shoot in wind or rain. Those shooters are defeated before they have fired a shot.

Practice in adverse conditions and they will become familiar, and not be a hardship.

It's enjoyable to practice on a sunny, calm day and just smash bird after bird floating in the blue sky, but you really need to practice in all weather conditions that you may encounter at a tournament.

Good luck at the GRAND. Have a good time.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have found the best thing to clear water drops from your shooting glasses is a micro fiber cloth. One quick swipe over your lens and the water is gone without smearing.
That should help you.
Good luck at the grand. I would love to go myself but at 73 that kind of heat and humidity would
kill me. Not fun to shoot in that.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmb, now that's a sense of Good Humor... I'll do my best either way, and I WILL HAVE FUN.

Russ in Pa, I've shot in all forms of Mother Natures Worst and her Best. It was just with a rifle or other crew serve weapons that I was associated with all the nasty stuff. Thats just a bit different of a site picture. The shotguns we used weren't built for the trap range either. Just up close and of a personal nature. The loads we also a little bit aggressive for trap. But back then these dam floaters weren't a problem. If they were there, the adrenaline took over and I never saw a one. I'll be prepared with a variety of eye defense.

It was probably a DUMB QUESTION to ask in the first place. But I opened my mouth and inserted the foot.

Thanks to All
The Gunny

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Coming from another Ohioan you will enjoy it.
My Son and I went 4 yrs. ago. Great small town, friendly people.

I shot P25 at Vandalia the first year and had as much fun as I ever had.

I see you are from Springfield. Loved to shoot at Clark Co. Their Ceramic Stein shoot was the best. Regards....Gerald

·
Registered
545 Posts
Under certain conditions you can see the other guys shot string going out to the target cause of the rain. Go to school on their misses and hits. For ex, if all of a sudden guys are missing and you notice the mist from the shot string is going over, then the targets may have flattened out, so adjust accordingly. Something like what Frank L told me about watching which way the grass is bending about 30+ yards from the house. Pay attention, Good Luck

·
Registered
180 Posts
The weather man has ruined more days due to rain in the forecast only to have it not rain a drop. I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Listen to V10. I shot the Grand American Handicap several years ago in pouring rain so hard it was running out my rain suit pant legs. Once you're wet, you can't get any more wet. At that point just shoot.
Matt, I had the same thing happen to me once. Water running down my legs and out the bottom of my pants. I was in a shoot-off for out state's singles against two guys by the name of Frank Hoppe and John Weaver. Oh, and by-the-way; it wasn't raining out.:)

Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts