Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard a shooter say he had shot the choke completely out of two different trap guns. These were fixed choke
guns, one a Rem.3200. This was done by shooting just about every day at different clubs. Do you think it is
possible to shoot a gun so much it no longer has any choke?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Unless the shooter is not using a wad, the shot stays inside the wad until it departs the barrel. Barrels are made of steel, most shot is lead, softer than steel...............I would have to have more information. Steve

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Only one I have ever seen shot out. My uncle had a Remington sxs that was bought for him as a small boy, he was an avid quail hunter. At the end of his career he finally retired it the barrels were like paper at the muzzle. This was back in the day of fiber wads. He grew up in South Carolina then moved to Oklahoma, in the days when the quail were so plentiful they only hunted coveys.. I believe it was a 1905 hammerless.

Buster

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
It's been reported that Vic Reinders put over 500,000 rounds through his Remington model 31. He probably would have noticed if the choke shot out.

·
Registered
18,650 Posts
Rather than "shooting" the choke out, I suspect there have been more than a few chokes that have been "cleaned" out. The cleaning rod rubbing the muzzle over many cleanings has ruined the accuracy of a lot of rifles so by extension ....

·
Registered
557 Posts
Olin Winchester has a model 97 barrel with well over a million shots through it it is still used as their benchmark for shot shell performance incinerate em!

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
A bore gauge should easily confirm if the barrel was shot out.
I'm guessing he didn't use one. LOL

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Loose non fitting choke tubes can be shot out. Those with the rear base not sealing all the way around.

The term shooting out a full choke came from the old days of using "punkin balls" for deer hunting with full choked shotguns. Those will definitely change a full choke diameter! Especially when firing several shots that heats up the barrel.

HAP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts