Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fairly interesting discussion at the range yesterday regarding shooters and superstitions. For me it's just one: I cannot put two shells in the gun if they are of different colors. If I do I will surely miss with one of them. Admittedly this is mostly at the skeet range, but surfaces at the trap range periodically. Usually involves a green and gold STS or a light and dark AA.

Are there many others?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I have a trap friend who orients the shell in his o/u chamber so the base stamp is vertical. I, myself, if I'm using a shell-box-type ammo carrier at my belt, will take the first shot of a round using the middle shell of the top row. If it works, it isn't weird, right?

LA in MA

·
Registered
389 Posts
My dad was one of the big dawgs in our little kennel back in the sixties. He claimed it was not possible to break a target with a green shell.(Remington) he needed Winchester low base papers.

·
Registered
15,939 Posts
Gotta have the right hat on or it's over.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Many years ago on a June 13th I was on Squad 13 and I broke the 1st hundred straight of my career. Ever since that day I avoid superstitions except for my lucky dirty golf cap.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
That throwing the hull of a miss on the ground will somehow teach or intimidate the other shells in your box to not miss.

·
Registered
355 Posts
A friend will never use a green colored shell. Only reloads AA. When placing a shell in one of his break-open guns he always has to have the AA on the brass baseplate in the 6 o'clock position. Joe

·
2,755 Posts
Superstitions?

You all know this one.

Someone, your son, wife, buddy, etc., is shooting on a squad and you are watching. Someone comes up and says, " Wow! He/she is really shooting well, smokin' them!"

Guaranteed miss for at least the next shot.

Same thing except you are shooting well. You finish one trap, walk back to the bench to get the next box of shells and your buddy says, "Wow, you're doing great, betcha get 'em all!

Guaranteed the next trap will be your downfall.

Of course, it's all in our heads.....isn't it?

Bob

·
Registered
193 Posts
Had a local gentlman say he did not think the white hulls in the Federal red, white, and blue packs patterned as well as the red and blue ones. Had to bite my lip.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Just for that reason, the guys that I shoot with are smart enough not to talk about the round, before it's all done.

Rick in MT

If you think it will, it will

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I never shoot a shell that I have dropped to the ground at registered targets. I'll burn them up on practice trap. How crazy can we get.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts