Trapshooters Forum banner

Shooting steel through Perazzi HT full choke

3164 18
As far as I know all new Perazzi HT are all steel proofed as well as HP steel proofed and almost all o/u are choked at M/F and some IM/F and all single barrels are F choked.
So if they are steel proof does it mean it's ok to shoot steel even through full choke barrel? I'm talking about 1oz. target loads #7,8,9
I know the general consensus is not to shoot steel through anything tighter than Mod. but why would Perazzi steel proof their IM and F barrels then?
Reactions: joe kuhn
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
13,003 Posts
As far as I know all new Perazzi HT are all steel proofed as well as HP steel proofed and almost all o/u are choked at M/F and some IM/F and all single barrels are F choked.
So if they are steel proof does it mean it's ok to shoot steel even through full choke barrel? I'm talking about 1oz. target loads #7,8,9
I know the general consensus is not to shoot steel through anything tighter than Mod. but why would Perazzi steel proof their IM and F barrels then?
So you can shoot full chokes like always. General consensus is questionable in my opinion. I've been shooting a Rem 870 full choke for years with no problem. Removable chokes need to be rated for steel as well. We don't see problems with full chokes at our club which has been steel for years and years.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you can shoot full chokes like always. General consensus is questionable in my opinion. I've been shooting a Rem 870 full choke for years with no problem. Removable chokes need to be rated for steel as well. We don't see problems with full chokes at our club which has been steel for years and years.
Joe thanks for your input
Any High Tech owners out there that shoot steel through IM/F fixed chokes? Can you guys share your thoughts/experience?

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kolar told me that steel is ok as long as you are using a quality shell. It is the wad cup that counts , It will protect the barrel with know trouble .
I'm not really worried about the barrel walls being scored by metal shot. I know they won't. I think this belief is much outdated. All fairly modern shotguns can handle steel shot just fine.
I'm worried about the actual IM or F choke constriction that can possibly cause a barrel bulge in that area.

· Registered
1,286 Posts
Talk to the gun manufacturer and be specific, they will give you the straight goods, then you will know

Reactions: Charlie Becknell

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought that Perazzi put a Fleur-de-Lis proof stamp on the under side of the locking block if it was tested for steel shot.
Yeah but they started putting Fleur-de-Lis proof only last year. My HT is 2017 and bears CIP S mark only whatever that means as well as all High Techs manufactured 2016 to mid/late 2020. Fleur-de-Lis however means it's HP steel proof. None of usual target loads (7, 8, 9) used for trap/skeet anywhere close to HP steel so that's irrelevant I guess.

· Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
13,003 Posts
Most of the thoughts around steel and tight chokes come from shooting big waterfowl shot not target size shot
Exactly. Manufacturers don't want to be liable, so they make super conservative recommendations. Even their speed suggestions are set for dropping waterfowl at a distance, not clay birds. My 1200 fps steel shot loads will smoke targets easily. 1325 fps are way overdone. My shoulder does NOT need to handle that. In fact, I went even slower last week with a 1000 fps load and smoked targets still.

Use removable chokes rated for steel and you'll be fine. On the topic of barrel bulging from target loads - I'd have to see that to believe it. Have never heard of 1 example.

· Registered
6,283 Posts
The first couple pages here are relevant, and then, typical of DoubleGunBBS, degenerates

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Well we are half way to 50. I wonder when we will see it in the for sale section.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.