Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anyone subscribe to Shooting Sportsman magazine? I keep getting notifications on Facebook wanting me to subscribe. I’ve never seen or read the magazine and wanted some honest opinions if it’s worth reading it or not. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Yes, I get the magazine. For me, there is a lot of dream stuff in it. I enjoy the magazine. It is bi-monthly. I have a "special" renewal rate of 2 years for 39 bucks. that is still more than 3 bucks per issue but I do enjoy the magazine

·
Registered
484 Posts
I get the magazine and enjoy it. It's not outdoor life by any means. However good the articles are they mostly relate to people with a more substantial income than mine. Subscribe if you like to read about fine o/u and sxs's. How best guns are made. There's some good bird dog and bird hunting , and dog training stories along with destinations for those that are so inclined. If these subjects interest you I don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary I saw an ad for the magazine for $12.95 for one year. I think for that price it’s worth a read.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
If you're looking for a good magazine that has more emphasis on trapshooting, you need TrapshootingUSA.
It combines articles with full color photos suitable to be a "coffee table" book.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes for years. No competition. Upland mostly, fine doubles, tweed vests, lodges, dogs, You can go to their site and read some sample articles. Bruce Buck (the technoid) does gun reviews. If you like all things shotgun, even if it not your cup of tea, worth a read.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It is one of the few I subscribe to. Just renewed for two years. Mine goes to the local barber when I'm done reading it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I subscribe also. More of a wish book for me. Occasionally they have some clay shooting articles and target gun reviews...Jim
I read it a few years ago, stopped and then started back last year. Yes, it is kind of a wish book, very well done. I got it for $12.95 for the first year. It is unrelated to the pure trap or clay shooting magazines so don't confuse the two.

If you live in the South another magazine that if worth subscribing to is Garden & Gun. Sort of like Southern Living with articles about Southern places, people and events with others about guns, hunting and related subjects scattered throughout. Classy magazine. My wife has subscribed to Southern Living for years and years, but I think its quality has been reduced somewhat in recent years. Garden & Gun is just excellent with superb writing and photography.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
It features lots of very high end shotguns, high end huting and shooting venues. Great "sidh I had the money" magazien

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've had a subscription for more than 10 years. Great magazine. There are slot of great articles, review of new guns, various new products, mental training, guns for sale etc. I enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
It's mostly a big ad magazine for high-end ranches and lodges you can spend a ton of money on looking good with a pretty Side X Side and beautiful ladies in English hunting attire. Overpriced and designed for Lawyer's offices in their waiting rooms for you to thumb through while wishful thinking. And yes, I ordered a year of it, which I won't do again.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Exactly what jsraney said, I was going to write a full response, but really it can't be said any better.

I remember reading an article about one of the lodges for an upland hunt and thought....that sounds cool, then I looked at their website and it was something like $3,000 for a weekend hunt.... stupid. I can do a day pheasant hunt locally at club with my dogs for about $100 if I want to do that.

I'm all for pretty SxSs and beautiful ladies in English hunting attire, but most of what was in that magazine was not relevant to me, so I let it go.

Bob

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I was an early subscriber.....had my script for years....but it got to be redundant!!!
To me it really took a dive when Michael Macintosh died.
My advice would be to give it a try....especially at the introductory price. I have not
Seen an issue for about five years.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I got it for a year, then didn't renew. Shotguns are not art to me and my out-of-state hunting trips don't involve lodges and gourmet meals. I'm not part of its target audience and I couldn't really relate to the content.

·
Registered
597 Posts
It’s my favorite magazine. Nice mix of London best and down to earth models. Hunting. Some clays. I look forward to it.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,658 Posts
Shooting Sportsman
Sporting Classics
Gray’s Sporting Journal

........ I’ve been getting all three for many many years and I look forward to each copy.

33A47162-4BA8-446D-B248-9C3A3BEBF7DF.jpeg

Reactions: Helix
1 - 20 of 38 Posts