Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Shoot where the target is going to be, when the shot gets there.
Use a quality gun, that is maintained, and has a responsive trigger.
Make sure the gun fits you, and shoots where you are pointing.
Whatever you do, do it consistently.
You'll never get rich shooting, so have fun.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,714 Posts
Do a squad check (typically squad leader)
Position feet and kick that annoying little stone out from under my foot that always seems to be right there.
Do a little rock to set my shoes
Do a posture check
Push up my glasses
Load
Focus
Mount, as I bring up the gun I say "head down-see the bird"
Set (hard focus)
Call
Bang
I check choke tightness between each station

·
Registered
905 Posts
Raise gun to ready position and focus on eye hold point.
Mount gun without moving eyes from focus point.
Allow eyes to settle before calling for bird.
Do not move gun until I have clear look at bird.
Move gun to bird and pull the trigger.
Listen to scorer call "Lost"!
Repeat.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
To be consistent, every shooter needs a pre-shot routine, Leo talks about this in his singles video. His personal checklist was long when you talk it out, but in reality, took just a couple of seconds to actually go through. It took extreme changes in light conditions before he altered his routine. Everyone is so unique, so there is no one perfect routine, you have to implement what works best for you.

·
5,064 Posts
at the line... I check the barrel, check the pouch, open the hull hamper, set my foot position, rest the barrel on my foot, re-check the plugs, adjust the brim of my hat, touch the bridge of my glasses and give a "thumbs up" !

·
Premium Member
5,262 Posts
at the line... I check the barrel, check the pouch, open the hull hamper, .............
.. give a "thumbs up" !
Funny how everyone has their little rituals and superstitions. Kind of like baseball players at bat. Everyone is different. For me, if I open my hull bag before I take my first shot, I will most times miss that first shot.

Reactions: spitter

·
Premium Member
5,262 Posts
Superstitions are meaningless! But if I don't take the shells out of the box in order front to back I may miss a few.
I take the middle shell in each row first. The outside shells in the row are last! Haha.

Reactions: 308

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I always make sure the writing on the base of the shell is upright in the chamber . I don`t want my shot leaving the bbl on it`s side or upside down .

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
I too load each shell upright for the same reason as above. "AND", I also make sure that all the smoke has left my barrel!!! Otherwise the shot from the next shell can't see the target when it comes out of the barrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I use a box holder on belt , I always use the center shell in each row first , and never load a shell in the gun with my left hand . Oh yeh , have a clear mind and focus on the task at hand .

·
Registered
791 Posts
Okie and Pull, you're killing me. Never thought of that.
Two new rituals for me. Add that to my smelling the hull before putting it my hull bag.
Now that'll have em wondering just how many screws are loose.
George

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I could always tell how Leo was shooting just by watching the way he took his shell out after shooting, didn't have to see the target to know. If he opened his gun and caught his hull high in the air, he was in the zone and shooting up to his standards. If he opened his O/U and covered the opening to pull out the hull, he was struggling. I guess there are routines both before and after the shot...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts