Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I guess I use a different strategy when I hunt, more horsepower more humane kill! I use something that will get the job done. Cory

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
It will work but it definitely is not the best choice. If you have all the time in the world for your shots it will work. But for a moving target it definitely wouldn't be my choice. I prefer a 270. I like to hunt out of a tree climber for them. Jackie B.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
If you shoot solids they will work just fine but as has been stated. Not anybodys first choice. Jeff

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Yes shot many pigs in south texas with a 223. Just hit them right behind the ear. Most hunting in texas done over a corn feeder out of a box blind.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
Head shots only...the 223 isn't a stopper on these critters unless you're after piglets, which are pretty tastey

·
Registered
455 Posts
I shoot 77 grain pills out of my .223 AR on pigs. Put one in the ear and it's lights out.

The fun part is shooting them at night with a scope mounted kill light. I use Big Pig Lights and Elusive Wildlife Technologies kill lights. Cheap and powerfull.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I do have a night gun for use over a corn box and it's a 22 hornet with a gen II night scope. Shots are normally less than 75 yards and ear shots are the name of the game. Instead of running off, I've had them to start eating the hog I shot when they smelled the blood. It can be fun. LOL Jackie B.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Here is a video of hunting pig's from the air. Look at the gun he is using. Its also a good video to watch. You can also watch other videos of other hunts from the air on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Im not telling anyone to do this but hunting smaller pigs, about 100# or less from a dirt bike using a hand gun. Its a step up from hunting horse back.
It takes away the easiness of using a rifle.

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
The body of a pig is pretty tough. As others have said, head shots. Give the .223 bullet a chance to do its job.

If your gun can stabilize them, Nosler makes some 60 grain Particians (factory loaded by Federal - see link) whose construction is tougher and they penetrate deeper before expanding. Their intended purpose is for light big game, like some of the smaller deer. They'll work better for penetration than varmint bullets, which are designed to rapidly expand upon contact. This works great for small varmints and coyotes, but for larger critters, especially those with very solid bodies, they leave ugly shallow surface wounds, craters really, that often result in a cruel, lingering death. Use the right bullet.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Done it before and would again. If I'm hunting coyotes with my .223 and see a boar or sal within 100yds maybe a lil further out I would take the shot no questions ask.

·
Registered
433 Posts
When I was young we used to shoot some huge hogs with 22lr right at ear. Sometimes we missed and learned how to climb trees real fast. Usually had someone in group with a shotgun slug. Those things looked like alligators on wheels when they come after you. jim w.

·
Molon Labe
12,004 Posts
I've shot many hogs with a .223 placed right it will drop them in their tracks

As far as being humane to them I have none left for them after the damage they have done to our place

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
Yeah, be careful. The .223 can, like, take out tanks and stuff.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
NO NO NO get it right. Its a 22 LR that will blow up a tank and a half track at once. Have you now got it straight? GOOD. Tha came straight from the Hollywood info desk.

·
Premium Member
19,648 Posts
I use a .223 on pigs up here around Amarillo. Shot placement is the key, though. But if you get into alot of them, handling the bolt can be slow. That's why I like a semi-auto. Shooting them can be like shooting at a tank though. They are tough son of a guns.

·
Registered
165 Posts
"Here is a video of hunting pig's from the air. Look at the gun he is using. Its also a good video to watch..."
Way too cool!
Headed to S. Texas 1-Feb to hog hunt. I've decided on gun/caliber yet
Vic

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.