Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight was the first time I’ve witnessed someone shoot out of turn. It was just during a practice round so nobody really said or did anything. It did get me to thinking, if it were to happen during a registered event, what’s the protocol? I had led off the shooting on post 1 and was on post 4 when it happened. Are there any implications for the lead off shooter if it happens?

I apologize for my ignorance.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
The target that is shot out of turn is a no target and will not be scored. This also applies if 2 people shoot at the same target.

Proper shooter shoots and rotation resumes. Squad leader does not get involved unless he/she is either out of turn or their turn to shoot.

Jason

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason, you explained it well.

·
Super Moderator
5,320 Posts
Just so it's clear, every shooter that shoots after the "skipped" shooter is out of turn, their results aren't scored, and they have to re-shoot their target once the proper order is restored.

So that could be as many as four shooters who have to re-shoot their targets.

See rule book section VII, E, 4.

Depending on how well the scorer understands what just happened, I, as squad leader, may go to the scorer and make sure they understand that the improperly shot target scores need to be removed from the sheet and re-scored.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Tonight was the first time I’ve witnessed someone shoot out of turn. It was just during a practice round so nobody really said or did anything. It did get me to thinking, if it were to happen during a registered event, what’s the protocol? I had led off the shooting on post 1 and was on post 4 when it happened. Are there any implications for the lead off shooter if it happens?

I apologize for my ignorance.
You know the rule book is free and it's available on line.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
True pheasant master but if one just secured a rule book, and/0r used the search function for every thread, which has been suggested many times, what would there be to talk about here? Some folks like me just like to discuss things. Point to ponder there sir?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was planning on reading the rule book later today. I posted the question mainly because I just happened to be the supposed squad leader that time and I was curious what role, if any, a squad leader would have during a registered event.

Reactions: Shane Taylor

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was planning on reading the rule book later today. I posted the question mainly because I just happened to be the supposed squad leader that time and I was curious what role, if any, a squad leader would have during a registered event.
Exactly why this site and others like it exist! Some guys don't understand that and it almost gets to the point that guys are afraid to ask their questions because someone will come along and chastise then for asking...

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
True pheasant master but if one just secured a rule book, and/0r used the search function for every thread, which has been suggested many times, what would there be to talk about here? Some folks like me just like to discuss things. Point to ponder there sir?
Maybe true, but why would you not own and study the rule book for any sport you participate in? I mean cover to cover numerous times. Then we can discuss what you don’t understand. A little knowledge goes a long way. Why do you suppose V10 and Pheasantmaster know the rules in the rule book? It wasn’t from this forum.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Those of us born and raised to middle age before the advent of the computer and cell phone only knew how to find info on stuff was to read it in a book. Because you read it on a internet chat thread doesn't mean it's correct information. But don't worry we will all be dead in due time.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Exactly why this site and others like it exist! Some guys don't understand that and it almost gets to the point that guys are afraid to ask their questions because someone will come along and chastise then for asking...
While generally I agree, one of my pet peeves is that there are probably more shooters out there shooting ATA that have never once opened the rule book than there are shooters who have.

Their understanding of the rules of the game are what they have been told by others, which is often incorrect or at least, inaccurate.

This leads to misunderstandings.

Hence I bristle sometimes when people bring up things like this, which are clearly covered in the rule book.

A friend of mine said, in jest, but it's true, "It's a good thing there isn't a written test on the rule book as a condition of membership in the ATA!"

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,033 Posts
Don't feel bad guys, even Chase tried asking a legit question about trap shooting on a trap shooting forum and was slammed multiple times. Harlan damn near pissed his pants when I told him he should join.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
The world has turned into a butt hurt society where folks have become reliant on someone else to research information. It use to be you educated yourself on a subject, and then you could carry on a conversation about it. Now people just want someone else to do the leg work. The truth is still the truth no matter how much it stings.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Nice.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Don't feel bad guys, even Chase tried asking a legit question about trap shooting on a trap shooting forum and was slammed multiple times. Harlan damn near pissed his pants when I told him he should join.
I routinely enjoy trying to get sportings big dogs to join (or rejoin) ShotgunWorld.com. Usually get a hard no in response or they say they peek in and chuckle at the village idiots from time to time.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The squad leaders biggest responsibility in to carry the score sheet from one trap to another and sign it after completion of the round after checking the addition. He should also ask the rest of the squad if the targets look OK before he starts with a round. Far too many decide they are the only voice in how the target look. They have no mystical powers that are not mentioned in the rule book, but "understood" by all.
JEB

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,033 Posts
The world has turned into a butt hurt society where folks have become reliant on someone else to research information. It use to be you educated yourself on a subject, and then you could carry on a conversation about it. Now people just want someone else to do the leg work. The truth is still the truth no matter how much it stings.
True. But while pointing fingers, we need to understand how we got here...to look back to when it started. What generation started turning their heads? Remember at one time Elvis wasn't shown from the hips down. Enough people at some point had to look the other way and gradually allow it to happen. Nobody wants to look in the mirror on this issue....but my average sucks so I should shut up now.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Well sir You certainly have a right to your opinion, but I see no one including me that has been butt hurt on this thread. The man asked a simple rule question and got some answers. I suspect he will secure a rule book and get educated on the subject. And I have read the rule book. I’m older and get easily confused. I come here to seek knowledge and information. Plus I’m stuck inside due to health reasons and this is my diversion. Now I don’t see this man asked anyone including you to do his legwork. And lastly you say the truth stings. Stings who? You? Are you judge and jury? You might climb down off that big Tractor you are driving before you start jumping on folks that have been having a nice conversation. Go ahead and slam me now as I don’t give a rip. Some of you folks have trained me well. Nice guys get run over Here pretty quick and I’m turning into a not so nice guy.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts