Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard discussions about how one particular shooter shoots "off the barrel" as opposed to another shooter who shoots "off he bead".

Can someone explain those terms for me?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I believe in the Daro Handy book and try to notice the bird/bead relationship while Not looking at the bead but into the acquisition zone instead. I don't have strong dominance in my right eye either and probably crossfire sometimes especially left angles. I am usually aware of the bird/bead relationship on all Posts except Post 1 in Handicap on a hard left angle. I seem to shoot at that target while totally on Auto Pilot and it usually breaks but I don't know why. I think what I suffer from is a Vertical Crossfire instead of the Classic Horizontal Crossfire because my barrel/bead is so transparent with both eyes open that I literally cannot tell when I have run over the top of a target that still looks just great to my left eye. Daro recommends to shoot off the barrel and he means to have some space between the beads instead of having the middle bead in line with the front bead. I can shoot off the barrel when I look right clear through the high rib as though it was not there and shoot way over the top.

·
Registered
823 Posts
It just means someone is placing more visual emphasis on the barrel end - a bit more "measured lead" than with pure instinctive shooting. There are many different degrees of both shooting techniques.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I did a lot of shotgunning as a kid for game and more when I got married and could find time for it. That type of shooting lends to "barrel shooting".

You don't have time to look for the bead on a fast flushing grouse or rabbit.

Now comes trapshooting a couple decades later....whole new deal but old habits die hard.

Sometimes I think that I should just remove all the beads and just let the old instincts take over.

Bill

·
Premium Member
18,784 Posts
LOL.

·
Registered
124 Posts
John watch the target, Shoot the target. And don't look at the barrel. trust your instincts and my copper #6 standing beside you! ...Mark...

·
Registered
518 Posts
JMAC here is another one for you. Anther years of shooting only a few days ago I learned what and how to look through the barrel to see the rock leave the house. For example put your arm out straight and aim at something in the distance. Close your weak eye and note that the object is covered by your thumb. Open both eyes and you should see the object again. This only works if you hold a high gun and are a two eye shooter. Takes a litter practice soft focusing onto the field and looking through the gun. I have a CG with a very high rib and at this point I am looking through the rib and not over it. It is a good time of year to experiment on a new shooting technique. I do not know where this style will take me but I now can smash the rocks very fast as they clear the top of the gun.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If you set up your gun to shoot the desired POI while seeing a lot of rib between beads you are probably shooting off the end of the barrel. The advantage of this set up is that your head if further off the receiver and back of the barrel to give you more visibility of the clay. This is eapecially helpful to one eye shooters. This of course makes the mid bead usless so I remove my mid bead.....

·
Vendor
19,364 Posts
Smokit's got it right.

And Stilltrying, be aware that if you look down around the bbl and consciously and intently see the target leave the house, you may develop a crossfire. Caused by your off eye having a better look at the target. This applies to parallel gun or high gun shooters. All bets are off if you are down on the house.

·
Registered
518 Posts
MX2G I am afraid you are right. Especially hard lefts, I am a right hand shooter. Hopefully my meadow industry sight will stop most of it. Maybe not looking thru the rib on post one and five is the answer. With normal birds my gun is parallel. I will reassess after a few hundred rounds. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I first heard "shooting off the barrel" with the introduction of high ribs. Shooting of the barrel with an unsingle can cause a lot of misses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts