Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello TS members, Nick here. I’m looking for info about shooting a major event. I’m planning on shooting the Great Lakes Grand American in Mason, MI 2020 and want to know what to expect before I get there. Things like how many shells to bring, how does squadding work, cost of events, etc.? I’m planning on shooting singles and doubles and would be there for 4 days, 3 full days of shooting since I’ll be arriving late on the first day. The local guy I asked said he brings 3k shells and $3k. Does any of that sound right? Hope you all had a great NYE and here’s to smashing clays in 2020!!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Look at the 2019 program on the ata site for a good idea of fees and option costs. Targets and fees are generally $40/100. Playing options can run $20-$150+ per event. You won't shoot 3K shells in 3 days. They don't throw that many program targets in a day. Usually the last 2-3 days of the shoot won't have all the disciplines. Look at the program to plan for the events you want. The shoot is governed and run by the program. 2020 program will most likely be very similar to 2019.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Big events are my favorite. You will need 1000 shells give or take.
Targets may be a couple dollars more. 1000 targets without options will be less then $500.00
There will be 2 or 3 events a day.

If I drive I bring everything I need.
If I fly I stop at Walmart and get everything from Sunscreen to water and snacks.

Enjoy the atmosphere watch some Big Dogs shoot.
Attend any special meals and watch some shoot offs.
Ask locally maybe someone is going you can squad with.

I always presquad and it is never more then a buck or two an event.

Its All Good
West

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at the 2019 program on the ata site for a good idea of fees and option costs. Targets and fees are generally $40/100. Playing options can run $20-$150+ per event. You won't shoot 3K shells in 3 days. They don't throw that many program targets in a day. Usually the last 2-3 days of the shoot won't have all the disciplines. Look at the program to plan for the events you want. The shoot is governed and run by the program. 2020 program will most likely be very similar to 2019.
thank you for the info. May be a stupid question but if the last 2-3 days events say “championship singles” does that mean if it’s only open for those that qualify for it during previous singles events or is it open to anyone registered for the event? I ask because I may have to arrive a day later than I was planning and want to make sure I’ll be able to shoot the last days event.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I shot my first big shoot this past year...I made sure I got there plenty early and had plenty of time to go register and figure out how it all works. where to go, how the banks were set up, etc.
I hate getting somewhere and not having enough time to relax and get myself and stuff together before going to rush off and shoot.
Watch the weather and plan accordingly

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big events are my favorite. You will need 1000 shells give or take.
Targets may be a couple dollars more. 1000 targets without options will be less then $500.00
There will be 2 or 3 events a day.

If I drive I bring everything I need.
If I fly I stop at Walmart and get everything from Sunscreen to water and snacks.

Enjoy the atmosphere watch some Big Dogs shoot.
Attend any special meals and watch some shoot offs.
Ask locally maybe someone is going you can squad with.

I always presquad and it is never more then a buck or two an event.

Its All Good
West

Thanks West! I’m gonna reach out to a few guys I talk to at my local club. I’ve only been doing this for about 3 months, but boy is it addicting!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shot my first big shoot this past year...I made sure I got there plenty early and had plenty of time to go register and figure out how it all works. where to go, how the banks were set up, etc.
I hate getting somewhere and not having enough time to relax and get myself and stuff together before going to rush off and shoot.
Watch the weather and plan accordingly
thanks dwactx! I’m the same way, I shot USPSA pistol matches for 5 years and believe me I’ve been parked at the locked gate before the match director shows up lol. I feel the same way and don’t ever want to rush and be in a bad mind set.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,552 Posts
I think everyone has this pretty much covered. One of the biggest adjustments is learning how to time squads. Pay attention to banks and make sure there aren’t big holes in front of you. Some banks will move much quicker as a result and not everyone is great about waiting if you’re straggling.

I usually would bring 25% more shells than I plan to program shoot, in case of practice and shoot offs. They will have more available to buy if you need it.

The folks at Mason are very nice and will help you. Just let them know you’re new and they will help you along.

GLG is one of my favorite big shoots. Great targets, nice folks, good background. Broke some good scores there over the years.

Make the journey 25 minutes south to the Parlour in Jackson for great ice cream. Lansing and Ann Arbor are close for day trips too if you desire a nice dinner.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Text Font Document Paper
thank you for the info. May be a stupid question but if the last 2-3 days events say “championship singles” does that mean if it’s only open for those that qualify for it during previous singles events or is it open to anyone registered for the event? I ask because I may have to arrive a day later than I was planning and want to make sure I’ll be able to shoot the last days event.
Not a stupid question.

All events are open entry. It is just the championship event. There are still prizes based on your classification. Shoot all of the events you can!

Penalty for Satellite grands are usually more targets than other shoots. You will need 1000 targets in singles and caps to avoid penalty. Looks like shoot is in late May this year.
Satellite Grand Dates & Programs

·
Registered
802 Posts
The only qualification is that you have enough targets to qualify to shoot in your normal class, if not you will be moved up a class, no big deal. Shoot and enjoy it. "Championship" means it is the BIG event of the shoot, just a title in reality, nothing more or less.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Gotta ask, why are you not shooting Handicap? After all your first big shoot and you traveled all that way.

If you have not figured it out yet, bring enough shells to cover the events your are planning to shoot, plus practice and maybe a few boxes extra in case you get into a shoot off. This is important if you have special ammo you like to shoot, be it reloads or factory.

As for cash, you may not need that much. You can pay for the targets and options by check. But no counter or secondary party checks. Most vendors at big shoots would take credit cards. But if you are looking for something, you should have enough cash to cover that in case the vendor will only take cash.

Jason

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gotta ask, why are you not shooting Handicap? After all your first big shoot and you traveled all that way.

If you have not figured it out yet, bring enough shells to cover the events your are planning to shoot, plus practice and maybe a few boxes extra in case you get into a shoot off. This is important if you have special ammo you like to shoot, be it reloads or factory.

As for cash, you may not need that much. You can pay for the targets and options by check. But no counter or secondary party checks. Most vendors at big shoots would take credit cards. But if you are looking for something, you should have enough cash to cover that in case the vendor will only take cash.

Jason
Thanks for the good info, sadly I don’t practice from beyond the 16 yard line. I really enjoy singles and doubles and want to keep match fees low since I dropped more than I should have on my gun, gear and shells lol

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
While you’re squadding, You need to ask, “how many banks?” It is usually published, but it has been known to change. Sometimes, not always the printed receipt tells you the bank your squad number will be on.

The table I created for some event (don’t remember why) was “over 12 banks” Obviously you could continue this for as many squads as necessary.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Thanks for the good info, sadly I don’t practice from beyond the 16 yard line. I really enjoy singles and doubles and want to keep match fees low since I dropped more than I should have on my gun, gear and shells lol
I would suggest entering at least the championship handicap to shoot the HAA (high all around - 400 championship targets). 20 yard targets are effectively no different than 16 yard singles. And if you’re shooting well, you may win something.

Of course, you’ll need to register 1000 targets by then or you’ll be on the 23.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would suggest entering at least the championship handicap to shoot the HAA (high all around - 400 championship targets). 20 yard targets are effectively no different than 16 yard singles. And if you’re shooting well, you may win something.

Of course, you’ll need to register 1000 targets by then or you’ll be on the 23.

For registered targets do they reset at the new year or is there a date the ATA goes by?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.