Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in the warm weather climates of north east Ohio there are times when the temps dip to the teens or less. When shooting with layers of for instance a thin under armour shirt then a mock turtle neck and a jacket on top of that can potentially add a half inch or more cushion to your gun mount. I understand there are ways to adjust your gun for times like these but the winter here you can shoot in January and it might be 50 and the next week its 10 with wind chill in the negatives and snow. I figure this would impact the length of pull (LOP). How will this change in LOP affect my shooting? will it change my point of impact if so in what way? Or is this just something that varies person to person? I do not have the adjustments on my pad and recoil device to change this with the changing weather conditions. Any input would be greatly appreciated. oscar

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would check into different thicknesses of recoil pads. Kickeez makes pads from 3/4 inch to one and a half inch. Changing pads would be cheaper and easier than adding an adjustable recoil reducer.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I live in the same area, NE Ohio. I tried having several thickness pads with me so I could adjust the LOP based on what I was wearing that day. For me it's too much of a pain in the sitter-downer to worry about. I've just come to accept winter shooting for what it is, a chance to slowly develop really bad habits that take all spring and summer to fix and then I can start the process over again when winter comes in again.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'm going through the same thing now also. Scores are all over the place and gun doesn't feel right. Just ordered a thinner Deaccelerator pad and some Under Armor to hopefully get back on track. But, everyone has to deal with winter and I shouldn't use it as an excuse. Seems to be an issue this year.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I recommend the following clothes for winter shooting as well as hunting.

I use these pants from rail riders,they are warm and tough,great for hunting also as they wont rip and are very comfortable and the warmest pants I have ever used.

http://www.railriders.com/men-lined-winter-weatherpant-p-1024.html?cPath=104_110

And the storm shooting coat for winter,wont really have to change your length of pull.

http://www.stormshooting.com/trapcoat.html

And for keeping the feet warm Darn tough socks.

http://darntough.com/men/mens-hunting

None of this is cheap, but once you buy them they will last and you will be fairly comfortable shooting in winter.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,511 Posts
LOP is not that critical. Even if winter shooting clothes added 1/2" (I doubt that very much) the relationship between your cheek and your shoulder pocket is quite flexible.

The big problem with winter clothing is restriction of movement.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer

·
Registered
67 Posts
ah yes, winter league opens up next sunday, 12/8, and in northern NYS it gets a bit nippy. it was below zero friday and saturday... at the end of the day winter league is just a good way to waste money in the offseason and nobody puts much care into it. that being said a good shooter can pick up a gun and shoot it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'd have to agree with skeeljc. I shoot in Wisconsin, and winter is one of my favorite times.

The LOP is not a big issue. I tried my gun with a tee shirt (my summer standard), and then put on all my winter gear. There was a lot of stuff, 5 or 6 layers to be exact. Once the gun was pressed onto my shoulder, it only added a quarter inch, believe it or not.

It's the restriction of movement that seems to be the problem. If you can lift your right arm with no binding, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
14,697 Posts
Wear a windbreaker sweater and one or 2 good insulated under shirts, not a big heavy coat. I don't change my LOP. Keep it thin enough to swing with control.

Beside, it's just a winter league, don't take it too seriously.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Ok Here is a list. Melton wool pants from Johnson woolen mills in Vermont. Polar fleece long underwear from Cabelas, tops and bottoms. They have several different weights. Felt lined pac boots. Beaver or muskrat hat from Foxx Furs in Duluth MN. They also lined an oversize shooting coat with sheared beaver. if you need it, a thin face mask. Shorten the length of pull with a thinner pad. Move your hand on the fore end back a little. Lastly the hot hands brand of hand warmers from Walgreens. The ones packed in foil, not plastic. Start them an hour before you shoot and put them in your gloves. Good to twenty below wind chill.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Hello my name is Bill and I am a trapshooter. [Hello Bill]. I don't care if it's cold I just have to see the little orange things break. Wear long johns and scamper for the clubhouse when the round is done. Somebody will fill the trap. Bill

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Trap guns, with their straight stock, don't care where you put your cheek. Your eye is still in the same place.

That said, you can make adjustments and make use of various clothing items to compensate. I use a Duofold top with a light sweater over it. It doesn't make much difference in the fit but I do take a quarter inch or so out of the Graco thingy on my gun. In the summer my vest has a pad in the inside pocket so I'm used to a little thickness there.

HM

·
Registered
188 Posts
"How will this change in LOP affect my shooting? will it change my point of impact if so in what way? "

On a well fitting shotgun -- increasing the length of pull will have a tendency to make the gun pattern to the left because of recoil differences.

'Or is this just something that varies person to person? '

Results vary from person to person. A friend of mine shot a sixteen on
Wednesday. He then took off his winter coat on the second round and shot a 23.
Coincidence? or example?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THOR5 very excellent point. I have noticed having to shoot just slightly right of the target. I thought that my eye was a little crooked but it could just be the length of pull. I tend to shoot a little right anyways and have been told my gun LOP is just a little long. Thanks oscar

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
If your not comfortable you'll shoot like Poop. Bottom line. In reality if your full focus in on the targets you wont be cold at all regardless what you wear.

Brady

1 - 18 of 18 Posts