Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been really hot here on the east coast. I've been sweating profusely. I have a towel attached to my shell bag, but it's just pouring down my face. I don't mind the sweat, but it runs down my cheek and messes up my mount as I mount very tightly and it is hard to do that with a puddle on your cheek.

I remember reading on here a while back that people were putting a certain balm/substance on their face to prevent slippage...I could have sworn it was called " no skid" but I couldn't find anything through google search

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
I noticed a few shooters at the Texas State Shoot using something. Thought it was blistix, at least the container was similar in size.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed a few shooters at the Texas State Shoot using something. Thought it was blistix, at least the container was similar in size.
I saw people at the Grand last time I was there that had jars like that as well...I always thought it was vaseline or something. Wish I asked them what it was when I saw him

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
I bought this at CVS a few weeks ago and have been using it. It helps a lot, but does not completely stop the beads rolling down your cheek.

51BCoMqTsDL._SY355_.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
I use the cooling towels like the one in my photo. It keeps me cooler and prevents sweat from running in my eyes. Couldn't do without it. Purchased in Lowes.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Use a tennis head band. This is a real problem on the Gulf Coast, and I've tried everything. The Tennis head bands work the best with a lightweight straw Golf Hat.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Use a tennis head band. This is a real problem on the Gulf Coast, and I've tried everything. The Tennis head bands work the best with a lightweight straw Golf Hat.
Wait till Nov --no problem--good foot spray & just got a champion hat --utra light-with neck cover & have a hammercher schlemmer-cool hat

its still best to not shoot in Fl after June

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Applying the above products to your face is to allow the stock to slide on your face. It is not to stop it from sliding or to keep your face dry. I occasionally use the Remington Face Saver my self. Another option that at least one top tier shooter I know uses, is plain old Vaseline. He applies a small smear to his cheek before the event.

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
Applying the above products to your face is to allow the stock to slide on your face. It is not to stop it from sliding or to keep your face dry. I occasionally use the Remington Face Saver my self. Another option that at least one top tier shooter I know uses, is plain old Vaseline. He applies a small smear to his cheek before the event.
I am aware of that. That is why I bought it originally, but it also seems to help with the sweat rolling down your cheek. Double the benefit.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I second the sweat band they really help when the heat and humidity kicks in.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I used to live in FL and even when I was in school and drove a car with no A/C I was fine with it. Now I'm 63, on a few med, sweat like a pig, and do not tolerate the heat well at all anymore.

I use a sweat band. Its invaluable and just about any old sweat band will be a real improvement to you.

I also use a white mesh hat just like this...emphasis on white. Wear that black cap, fry your brains.

http://www.kolargear.com/caps/kolar-basic-hat.html

Also, a cold towel (dipped in ice water) wrapped around your neck will provide definite benefits in the heat.

Finally, I have a bunch of those Rem shaving sticks. They are, as grntitan pointed out, good if the stock is rubbing your face raw, but I don't think they do a thing for sweat.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
A couple of terry sweat bands will keep your head dry. Most of the sweat comes out of your scalp area. But what do I know. I'm from michigan.

Bill

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Mr Zog's Sex Wax!!! Rub some on your high gloss finish stock and it will keep your face from sliding around. It kept my feet from sliding around a Glossy smooth fiberglass surfboard (in the water) for more years than Carter has liver pills!!! LOL.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll head to the store tomorrow and pick up a cheap sweatband and like a visor hat...I usually wear a black hat...probably why I'm sweating bullets...duh.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you can find the frog Toggs cool towel(feels similar to a chamois) you might try that. I just picked one up, wet it with water and kept it around my neck. Kept me cool and when I noticed the sweat dripping, I just wiped it off. The sports authority here had it on clearance for $7.97 and when I went back to buy a few more, it was all sold out. Now they have their own brand of cool towel that looks just like the frog Toggs.

·
Premium Member
6,804 Posts
Go to a welding supply house and buy the sweat bands welders use with their helmets. Made of a sponge material and you wet it keeps you cool and absorbs sweat. Keeps it from running in your eyes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts