Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in the north west we are forced to shoot in the rain especially during the winter months. I have noticed in the past while shooting with squads that the scores seem to go down when you have to deal with the rain. A friend of mine and I were shooting today and he happened to mention that he thought that the rain distorted the visual on the target. I had to agree with him but never really pondered on it. I do not know if there has been anything that has been written on this subject. If so is there anything that can help improve your scores other than staying out of the rain and staying inside the clubhouse? I do know that it does have an affect on the lighting but does it also have have an affect on how you interpret where the target is located? Kind of like trying to shoot fish with a bow.

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
I can't answer your question but I have shot some of my best scores in just nasty, cold, blowing rain. Don't like it, though.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
if the rain is coming straight down or is from behind is totally different than rain being blown into your face. Another component is temperature. So even if the wind is blowing rain all over your glasses, if the outdoor temp is lower than 55 -60 or so, all bets are off. people are wearing too many clothes, their guns no longer fit, squads are short due to dropouts, and just being generally miserable contribute to lower scores

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Your scores suffer because you allow the cold drips running down your back to distract you. The solution is to become used to this slight discomfort.
You can accomplish this by using a wall chart in your basement. Strip down to a Tshirt and practice as usual with the chart while somebody shoots you with a water pistol, paying close attention to you eyes and the back of your neck.
You will find, after much practice, that you will either learn to ignore the cold water, or you will hate it so much that you will take your hatred out on the reason you are in that situation. Either way, your scores will go up.
Either that, or you could follow smokintom's advice.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Living in the north west we are forced to shoot in the rain especially during the winter months. I have noticed in the past while shooting with squads that the scores seem to go down when you have to deal with the rain. A friend of mine and I were shooting today and he happened to mention that he thought that the rain distorted the visual on the target. I had to agree with him but never really pondered on it. I do not know if there has been anything that has been written on this subject. If so is there anything that can help improve your scores other than staying out of the rain and staying inside the clubhouse? I do know that it does have an affect on the lighting but does it also have have an affect on how you interpret where the target is located? Kind of like trying to shoot fish with a bow.
Ran 100 at Hawaii state shoot years ago in a downpour. Targets may have gone 25-30 yards max. Waited till stopped and then poked it. 3dr. 7 1/2's full choke (fixed TM1). Patience paid off. 4 man squad shot 100,100,99,98 using this method.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Warm rain is not to bad but cold is terrible to me even in rain clothes.I do where golf gloves as they help alot with grip and comfort from cold.In heavy rain it is like shooting tracers as the shot passes thru the rain.Its all fun.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Living in the north west we are forced to shoot in the rain especially during the winter months.
Wrong.

You CHOOSE to shoot in the rain.

Big difference.

I live here in north central FL and believe me when I say we get our fair share of rain, in fact, I had to quit working in the yard a minute ago because, guess what.... its raining.

I gave up shooting in the rain years ago when I realized I wasn't having any fun doing it!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
I remember shooting in the rain in Florida, unfortunately , rain usually occurred with his playmates, thunder and lightning. Me no likeum rain, gun may have anaphylaxis to H²O.

Reactions: H M and Anton H

·
Registered
119 Posts
Claypoppy is correct. We choose to shoot in the rain. The last day recorded as sunny in Seattle was November 30th. If you want to shoot at all you have to put up with wet fog, mist, showers, rain and so on. Our "dry" season starts after the 4th of July. I turn on all the lights in the house to help with the gloom.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Southern Grand about 4-5 yrs ago, enough steady rain, pull up, prep to shoot enough water on rib to form convex site plane, lower barrel to let water run off of rib, back up call target, broke a very good score.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
No shooting in the rain for me ,the same goes for cold > below 25 F .The clubhouse is a fine place to be and the Fireplace always needs more wood . I can get however talked in to scoring and then I see it > most shooters wearing to many layers of cloth & can not move well and some guns do not fit . Yea,some targets are hard to see as well

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
And when you are done you need to clean your gun all the way to the innards! No thanks. I only like to do that when I have time to kill.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts