Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be visiting NJ for a couple of weeks for work. Would there be any problem bringing my gun so that I could shoot while I'm there? I know the laws are strict there. Any information or advice is appreciated. Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
408 Posts
See the above website for the most acccurate info.

Probably not a good idea to bring your own. Travelling through NJ is ok with guns & ammo in the trunk or equivalent or locked seperately. Coming into NJ, shooting a match and departing on the same day is also good. Staying overnight in NJ with your oun gun has no provision in NJ law. We are restricted to carrying a gun to or from a match, hunting or a gunsmith with no stops.

If you're staying in a person's home, who has an NJ FOID, he might be able to keep it in his home for you. Motel, no way.

Look into renting or borrowing an NJ resident's gun at the range might be your best bet. Even then, he can't let it out of his "control", whatever that means and is limited to an eight hour period.

Sorry,

Norm

in NJ for the last 20 years.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you're driving in or flying into Philly and can keep the gun out of sight, I'd say go for it. But if you're flying into Jersey or NYC, I'd leave the gun home.

The problem (as Norm pointed out) is that nobody really knows what New Jersey's laws are, so some official could decide to hold on to you and your gun and there's no way to know ahead of time if you're going to fall afoul of the presumption of guilt.

Additionally, if you do go shooting, make absolutely certain that you leave all empties at the club and keep all accoutrement out of sight. I had a friend pulled over for an illegal lane change and the cop saw empty AA hulls in the pocket of his shooting vest - which was hanging up in the back of the car. He spent six hours in limbo before being allowed to leave the People's Republic of New Jersey. And, I'm told, he was lucky: he is a lawyer.

J.F. Wolfington
Wilmington, DE

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
And when you pull your car into a gas station in NJ you are not allowed to get out of your car to put gas in it. HMB

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Tony,

You don't say where you are shooting... Southern NJ isn't too bad (I live in PA and shoot their often - sporting clays, hunting birds).

Are you driving or flying??

As Voolfie pointed out it is about what they see, not so much about what you do.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you are driving in, just keep all guns and ammo out of sight. You will be fine. You can get out of your car at the gas station here in NJ. An attendant usually insists on pumping your gas. Been here for 54 years and never had an issue with guns in my car.

ART H.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be driving in and staying in the Toms River area. I saw that there was a range nearby. It should not be an issue to keep gun locked in my truck box most of the time other than at night. Thanks for the info so far. Tony

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Why reward a gun unfriendly state with your money?

Shoot in a state that does not treat you as a criminal.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Brian, unfortunately there are many states in the east, and certainly heading your direction also, that have passed some "feel good PC" laws that are not either enforced or reasonably enforceable. As long as you use a little common sense you shouldn't have an issue. Little by little they just keep chipping away at our freedoms.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Common sense only works in places where common sense is used by government.

But you're right. They keep taking a bit of the pie one slice at a time.

·
Registered
967 Posts
NJ is mostly like any other State. There are laws that get much press, and exceptions to those laws that get no press. Don't be stupid and you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
235 Posts
There seems to be a lot of confusion. Much of what people here are saying (staying on your car, driving straight thru, not making stops, going to a sanctioned shooting event, etc.) pertains to handguns - not long guns.

Long guns are not an issue, but the NJ state police are your best source, don't trust any of us. Seriously.

Been in NJ for 35 years.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I had the pleasure of visiting the North Jersey Clay Target club in Fairfield last fall. I found the trip well worth it and have every intention of returning the first chance I get.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts