Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem when I mount the gun I see the top of my shooting glasses frame and above. Another problem is I have to have a round hat that shades my face and neck for health reasons but I don't like hats that I see the brim when mounting the gun. An ideas?

·
Registered
193 Posts
What kind of glasses? You can probably get the nosepiece adjusted or get some nosepads to make them fit higher on your face

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I bought decots with with the adjustable nose piece.
Or do what eugwara recommends I have done that as well

·
Registered
102 Posts
If possible can you have someone take a picture of you with the gun mounted, as you would at the range, from the barrel end as if you were in the mirror. gun unloaded of course, please state that for the safety queens.

·
Banned
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank all of you for your help. Some of your suggestions, I think, will help cure my problem. It's nice to be able to go somewhere for help.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Columbia at one time made a short bill hat with cloth hanging down on sides and back worked great for sun protection and you still shoot with it.

·
Banned
848 Posts
If you see top frame of your shooting glasses (or if the brim of your hat obstructs your vision), you might be dropping your head on the stock too low, mounting to the shoulder first. Instead, I would suggest to bring your gun to your cheek first and then bring your shoulder in (to gun's butt-pad) until full contact. Your head should be in as natural and as upright position as possible, while keeping your eyes horizontal to the ground. This method will help to keep your neck muscles relaxed and unstrained and therefore, ensure unobstructed flow of blood (and oxygen) to your brain. Here is a good video on the subject:

And here is another good gun mount tutorial from Mike Yardley:

·
Banned
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have Leo's DVD Karla and it is a good DVD. I have been going to review it but haven't got around to it. Well anyway I shot league tonight and shot really well taking your advice about mounting the gun to my cheek. After mounting the gun to my cheek I looked above the gun about 6 inches before calling for the target. I read an article in Trapshooting USA where Sean Hawley mentioned that he looks about 3 inches over his gun but other good shots look higher. I also adjusted my glasses as suggested above and it all paid off. Thank you for all of your help.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Be sure you are not focusing your vision too far out from the traphouse, you need to be looking for the target as soon as physically possible to visually lock onto it after it leaves the house.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts