Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wear prescription glasses and I am looking to buy some clip-on sunglasses. Is there a particular color that would be better for shooting? Buying prescription shooting glasses is not possible for me right now, so please don't give me that recommendation. Thank you for your help.

Jesse

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Everyone has different colors that work. Light sensitivity makes a difference also. Best to bring a target, or matching target color with you when you purchase these, to see what your eyes prefer.

I would suggest one for overcast, and one for sunshine. Use whichever allows the best clear vision on ever changing days.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think that to some extent it depends on your eye color and preference. For me, I have blue eyes and I wear vermilion about 80% of the time. If its a real sunny day out without a cloud in the sky, I'll switch to purple. Overcast I'll put in either a HD or orange depending on how the targets look through both. Whatever looks best for the conditions without having to squint because of the sun or too dark of a shade that makes the targets look dark or wet. Try to look through a bunch of shades before you make a decision on just one.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
The Solar Shield clip-ons that you can buy at most stores for a lot of different glasses come in gray and amber, which is an excellent color for shooting orange targets. Also fit-over sun glasses which come in gray, brown, amber, yellow and rose are inexpensive and good eye protection. I've shot with both with my regular glasses.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Look on Ebay. Type in clip on shooting glasses. Will give you an idea of whats out there. Cheap way to try some out. Remember to use colored glasses that enhance target visibility for the type of light your shooting in but don't go to bright. Excessive light gathering will tire your eyes and make them ache over with over exposure to to much bright light. Each person see's colors differently and reacts to bright sunlight differently. Also try different colors for different back grounds as well as light conditions.

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
You said buying prescription shooting glasses is not possible right now, so don't make that recommendation.

Sorry, but I've been down this road before and clip on sunglasses are probably the worst way to go. I'm still going to recommend the following even though you ask not to....Save your money and buy a pair of dedicated shooting glasses from one of the many companies that make/supply them, ESPECIALLY since you need prescription glasses to shoot (I do also). I agree with some shade of purple/vermilion as your primary color. Lens color is something that each shooter has to decide for themselves. Find a vendor at one of the bigger shoots and they will have different lenses you can look thru to help you decide.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Solar Shield clip-ons that you can buy at most stores for a lot of different glasses come in gray and amber, which is an excellent color for shooting orange targets. Also fit-over sun glasses which come in gray, brown, amber, yellow and rose are inexpensive and good eye protection. I've shot with both with my regular glasses.
I don't mean to sound offensive haha, but are the "fit overs" the sunglasses you see a lot of older people wearing? The ones that completely wrap around your glasses?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You said buying prescription shooting glasses is not possible right now, so don't make that recommendation.

Sorry, but I've been down this road before and clip on sunglasses are probably the worst way to go. I'm still going to recommend the following even though you ask not to....Save your money and buy a pair of dedicated shooting glasses from one of the many companies that make/supply them, ESPECIALLY since you need prescription glasses to shoot (I do also). I agree with some shade of purple/vermilion as your primary color. Lens color is something that each shooter has to decide for themselves. Find a vendor at one of the bigger shoots and they will have different lenses you can look thru to help you decide.
Good Luck and Good Shooting!
I appreciate your suggestion. I'll see what I can do. Do you know if there is a company that makes prescription shooting glasses with interchangeable lenses? Since everyone seem to suggest different colors for weather conditions and backgrounds, I would hate to buy glasses in only one color and them not be ideal for what I need.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yes, there are companies that make glasses with interchangeable lenses. There are also frames that allow a prescription insert that mounts behind a non-prescription colored lens. Some people don't like this type because they sit too close to their face.

Look up L and M lenses. They are dealers for most of the major brands of glasses.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The fit over sun glasses are mostly for people with eye problems and they are separate from the glasses. They cover the glasses above, below, and on the sides. Clip on flip up shooting glasses can be bought in different sizes to match the shape of your lenses. Get bigger and wear side shields. I wore them back when I wore prescription glasses. They aren't as good as prescription colored glasses but are hundreds cheaper for three pair and work fine. Bolle makes shooting colored glasses that the prescription lenses will fit inside or just use as colored shooting glasses and come with five different colors. My optician at work sells them. I have a set of the interchangeable Bolle shooting glasses and they came with yellow, vermillion, amber, dark, and clear. My purple are Beretta glasses.

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
I'll see what I can do. Do you know if there is a company that makes prescription shooting glasses with interchangeable lenses?
Yes. Virtually all who manufacture "shooting glasses" make the frames so that any of their lenses can be changed in a matter of seconds. I have been using Decot "Hy-Wide" shooting glasses for over twenty years and have a set of regular lenses that I can use for driving or shooting at night, a set of "Target Sun" (a very dark "purplish color") that are polarized that I use here in Florida to "sight fish" in the Gulf of Mexico and shoot with on the brightest of days, and a set of "V-Lite" lenses (a light "vermilion") that I use for most of my shooting.

Be careful that you don't get caught up in all the hype about certain brands of shooting glasses being so much better than others. There are some companies out there charging LUDICROUS prices for their product. The technology that goes into the making of quality lenses is virtually the same for everybody and you can buy quality shooting glasses without "breaking the bank". With a little research, you will find a lengthy list of companies to choose from. I can highly recommend Decot as they sell great shooting glasses and their customer service is second to none. Their website is very informative, and if you have any questions, just give them a call.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
There are so many styles and colors in fitover glasses and so many places that sell them that you're sure to find ones you like. They range in price from $15 to $ 60. I've used them and they work well as shooting glasses. I definitely recommend them over clip-ons.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yes, there are companies that make glasses with interchangeable lenses. There are also frames that allow a prescription insert that mounts behind a non-prescription colored lens. Some people don't like this type because they sit too close to their face.

Look up L and M lenses. They are dealers for most of the major brands of glasses.
I'll second that. He's based out of Silver Dollar. Good guy.

I use Decot Hy-Wides. My optician, a Decot dealer, wanted $400.00 for a set of prescription lenses. I bought a pair from L&M at the Michigan State shoot for $110.00 and picked them up the next day. While I was there, he retinted a pair of yellow lenses overnight at no charge.

I bought the frames and two sets of lenses from him this spring for $320.00, shipping included. Note that's less than my optician wanted for a single pair of lenses.

If I'm not mistaken, he has a couple of dealers; my expectation is their prices might be higher than buying from him direct. See his ad in the current Trap & Field.

Shooting Glasses - LM Lenses or phone 802 343-0828.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Bought a pair of prescription Ranger XLW's today. What sold me on these is that a future prescription change is just the price of one set of lenses ($130) and different colors are $30. Bought them from Morgan Optical at the Grand. The XLW's are what you are looking for.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts