Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son shoots with me a times a year. He is color blind and vermilion lenes help him see orange targets. He wears everyday Rx lens. Are there shooting glasses he could wear over his regular glasses? His shooting volume does not justify dedicated Rx shooting glasses.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
A guy I shoot with had a set of clip-on lenses of various colors. He wears prescription glasses and didn't want to buy prescription shooting glasses. The bad part is, I don't know who made em. I want to say Randolph Ranger but don't know if that is correct. They are out there.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Go to just about any optometrist's office, and ask about colored clipons. I have seen them in several different offices, although there wasn't a large selection in a couple of places.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I too have used vermillion lense glasses (the older Remington style with multiple snap in lenses) right over my prescription glasses. I've noticed, watching birds of other shooters, that I see a second "shadow" of the bird, just slightly below the bird - maybe due to focal length change of one pair on top of the other. I didn't notice it when actually shooting myself, possibly due to the intensity of shooting. I can't really say if it affected my shooting as I've shot some good scores with these two pair on.
Recently though, I've abandoned this practice and moved to just clear prescription glasses or prescription sunglasses. Next I'm headed to an optometrist, as noted above, for purple clip-ons.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
A friend of mine who is a very casual trapshooter and didn't want to invest in shooting glasses mentioned clip-on lenses to me one time. I thought there was a serious drawback to them but couldn't recall what it was so I had him speak with an optometrist I know who could have clip-ons made for him. The doctor suggested he bite the bullet and buy "real" shooting glasses from someone who could provide them because looking through multiple lenses distorts the image seen and in the case of target shooting, has the very real potential of causing inaccuracy.

Ed

·
Registered
32,285 Posts
Does your son have astigmatism? If he requires simple correction, might consider fitting him with soft contacts. You can get lenses for astigmatism, but torics cost just a little more.

My vision was better with contacts than with glasses, you don't outgrow them like glasses. Tear one, put in a new one, don't have to put with scratches and they can be cheaper than buying glasses every year. Biggest drawback is getting use to them, dust, dirty conditions but hygiene is important, clean them everyday, and replace storage cases from time to time.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
I have very bad eyesight and place my trapshooting glasses right over my everyday glasses to shoot. I have no problem doing that and I can finally see the targets.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Post 4 shooting glasses. They are plano meaning no correction in the lens and my everyday glasses take over. I also were BI-Focal every day glasses and I do not see the bi focal when I shoot as I need them to see and read the squad sheet.
Steve

·
Banned
890 Posts
Don't forget about the eye protection part. Clipons and everyday glasses may not offer any substantial eye protection. JMHO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts