Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What color works best when shooting orange targets against brown trees during winter and early spring in bright sun and when overcast. Thanks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Most shooters will agree with the vermillion and yellow or gold. Sporting clay shooters will choose red or rose for background and most shooting frame companies call red or rose, vermillion. There are eye industry color charts and then there are inventive marketing color names that the retail industry imposes. The difference is to confuse both customers and competitors.

Maltz

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I have 20/20 vision, but have never been able to see a orange target in a blue sky very well. It just seemed to disappear and reappear. I have probably invested $ 3-4000.00 trying to find the right lens. about 3 weeks ago I called Texas Shooters Optical and spoke with Tom. Explained my problem he sent me two sets of lenses to try, a light rose a and a dark vermillion. Let me tell you the dark vermillion has turned my shooting in to a shooting contest not a seeing contest. Thanks Tom for your Help.

Buster

They can be reached at 713-927-4790

·
Registered
105 Posts
Personally I use gray/smoke lenses for brighter days and orange lenses for overcast days. I tried yellow and vermillion this winter and found that the orange lenses highlight the orange clay so it's easier to pick up and follow.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
It really varies depending on your eyes. Everyone sees differently. Your probably going to have to just try different colors yourself and see what looks good for you. I like the purple lenses but they are not ideal for all conditions. But don't go crazy and get 20 different colors.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Go to a shoot where one of the shooting glasses vendors will have sample lenses on paddles for you to try. Everyone's eyes are different. The color that works best for me may not be the color that works for you. Trust me. I've spent A LOT of money on buying colors that were reccomended to me by friends without trying them first and was thoroughly disappointed! I learned from my mistakes and would NEVER buy any colored lenses before viewing targets with them!!!! BTW light purple lenses work best for my eyes in moderate light conditions and at night. I like dark purple when it's bright out with the backgrounds of most trap clubs in my area.
Hope this helps you and remember to TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
The above statement is so true. Try it before you buy.

Everyone's eyes (like shoulders) are different, what one sees is not necessarily the same as others, especially colors.

I tried a dozen different lenses, including those really expensive ones from famous optical makers and find no advantages in clay shooting against any back ground using any color lenses for me. Now I use polarized sunglasses to shade out the glares from sunlight.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Amen, Try before buying. Dark vermillion, orange targets blue sky work for me and purple have worked great, except for the orange against blue.

Buster

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
On the theory that if orange lenses highlighted orange targets, I once ordered gray lenses to highlight pigeons.
WRONG, they damn near disappeared!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I carried an orange clay into the optic shop and checked what lenses made the color pop for me. I got a darker purple for sunny days, orange for overcast, and yellow for shooting white clays under the lights. So far this selection works pretty well for me. One color that I didn't get that surprised me was brown, it really made the orange clay color very vivid like the purple and orange did. Finally decided to go with the purple instead of the brown.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use purple when its bright and yellow in low light but as has been said on here everyone's eyes are different so try before you spend a ton of money on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts